CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Clunking or Rattling

scott y

Friday afternoon coming home from the Boat Show in Toronto...The ol' 94 started to make a very light rattling and/or clunking which I believe sounds as tho it's coming from the passenger side front.The wife said she could feel it in the floor...the weather has been far less than cooperative for me to actually go out and have a gander, has anyone heard of or experienced this? The steering and braking and so forth are not effected at all by this, just drive down the road and the slightest pavement imperfection makes the noise Thanks in advance for the assistance.....

look1-1-1.jpg

Yes those things are crossing my mind,but like I said it's too freakin cold to go out and yank the wheels...otherwise I'd probably know a little more. Wouldn't there be some steering and vibration coming from the front end if it were some of those items? It drives down the road square an true,you can drive along and turn the steering wheel back and forth with no play or clunking. I guess i'm just gonna have to bundle up and have a gander :P

look1-1-1.jpg

It might be the upper mounts on the front struts. The mounts can wear out and cause a clunking noise like you describe.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

i did sway bar bushings in jan yrs ago. on cold garage floor. there is a reason people pay garages to do this. but a cheap part. a strut mount required taking the strut out and disassembly of strut. which is no fun either.

my car is also rattling. -15F yesterday. rattle was louder. links are rubber bushed? old school style? also do not want to crawl under car. you replaced links? how did they look? would rubber biscuit have to be wasted to make sound?

The stab links actually look like a small tie rod set up from a typical rear drive car without the adjusting sleeves...ball joints at each end.The ones I removed didn't seem bad or sloppy, nor was the car making any sounds. I just had them in stock and figured with 178K on the car what could it hurt to replace them? Man, it was a *smurf* to get them off tho, I had to grind the nuts off em!!!Literally...The reinstallation should involve Flat washers,Nylok nuts, and a little dab o antiseize.That was back in the summertime tho and my car started to make this rattle last Fri.aft. :unsure: I just haven't had the weather frame to get anything done outside unless I really need to..

look1-1-1.jpg

rockauto says both of these are used on front. the strut has a welded tab on it to attach to the strut link. i am voting for the 2nd part. the one with ball-joint ends. they do sell strut rod bushings but not the strut rod itself. i think the 1st part is wrong. my grand prix has sway bar links that look like that.

post-418-129574165413_thumb.jpg

post-418-129574191755_thumb.jpg

No, the threaded end portions are at a 90degree angle..that is the old school style you spoke of earlier. Picture a tie rod setup, you have 2 ball joints,1 on each end,and they have a threaded adjustment sleeve between them.That's what these look like,without the adjusting sleeve. The one you are showing is from a rear drive setup...

look1-1-1.jpg

checked links. they look ok. balljoint seems ok also. i notice the strut bellows is loose on bottom. have some ice buildup on spring seat. i wonder if having no clamp on bellows bottom would make a rattle as strut moves? bellows is pretty stiff. cold seems to make rattle worse here.

Archived