CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 Coupe Deville 4.5

Help anyone,

I recently purchased a 1990 coupe deville 4.5L....with a few problems...I would really appreciate any help...first I had the small metal pipe rusted through that goes to the heater core....leaking anti-freeze....could not find a new part so I had to remove it and have it welded...so far it is not leaking, but I still have very little heat and the fan doesn't seem to blow out of the dash....just a little out of the defroster.....can anyone help me with this problem...also what is the best and safest way to take the inside of the drivers door off to replace the window quide...because the window falls down inside the door...I can lift it up manually but as soon as I put the window down it falls off the guide...if anyone out there can help me with either of these problems it would really help...thank you......Bob

It's vacuum operated and defrost is the default position. Check for a vacuum leak. Start with the parking brake release diaphragm if the parking brake does not release when put in gear.

It's vacuum operated and defrost is the default position. Check for a vacuum leak. Start with the parking brake release diaphragm if the parking brake does not release when put in gear.

thank you.........if you have any other suggestions please let me know ....thank you....also about taking the driver side door apart to fix the guide that the window keeps falling off of and down into the door....thanks again...Bob

It's been so long since I've even seen an '85 that I would not attempt a guess. If you do not have a FSM you'll just have to take your time and see what is holding the panel on besides the plastic perimeter pins.

thank you.........if you have any other suggestions please let me know ....thank you....also about taking the driver side door apart to fix the guide that the window keeps falling off of and down into the door....thanks again...Bob

I have a '91 with the same window guide problems and have replaced the driver's side guide twice and passenenger's side once.

It's not difficult to take the door panel off. You have to remove the arm rest then pry and pop off the side panel. If I remember correctly, there is a screw under the windor/door lock panel. This panel will pop up from the front with a small flathead screw driver. There is a release you have to depress with the screw driver then it will pull out. There is also a screw behind the light on the end of the panel. I assume your arm rest is the same as mine. This light i'm talking about isn't on the bottom of the rest but on the end and is used to light the entry way while the door is open. Once the rest is loose you can pry the panel off and it will expose the track the window rides on. My failures have been the plastic knuckle the track rides in. You can by the replacement and simply pull the old knuckle out and replace it with the new. The entire job should take less than an hour and it will all go back together looking like new. I noticed, while the panel was off and I cycled the window up and down, that when the track was in the farthest 'down' position it put a lot of stress on that knuckle. In an attempt to add life to the knuckle I try to limit how far the window goes down. If I roll my window down I try to never let it 'bottom-out'.

I hope this helps!!

Grege

I noticed, while the panel was off and I cycled the window up and down, that when the track was in the farthest 'down' position it put a lot of stress on that knuckle. In an attempt to add life to the knuckle I try to limit how far the window goes down. If I roll my window down I try to never let it 'bottom-out'.

I hope this helps!!

Grege

If there is that much stress on the track, it probably needs to be adjusted.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived