CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield Wiper Vertical Line

AUSTINCTS1

I purchased some fairly expensive wipers about two weeks ago. Finally, got some rain in Austin, and I noticed a vertical line developed right in front of the driver side, caused by the wiper on the passenger side. The line was formed where the passenger wiper stopped on the driver side. Kind of annoying. Otherwise, the wipers are great.

I've really never have seen this. Could it be the high dollar wipers? Has anyone else experienced this, and more importantly, what did you do about it. Thanks In Advance.

It could easily be the high dollar wiper blades; soft rubber.

Your local H-E-B should stock BAR KEEPERS FRIEND (BKF).

BKF is a very mild abrasive that is safe for plastic and works well on my glass top cooking surface. Try it on a small test section of your glass.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My wipers will do that if they haven't been used in a while.

It is annoying and can be a minor distraction when driving.

My OPINION is, that it is caused by a tiny layer of (for lack of a better word) GUNK that builds up on the windshield and on the wiper blades themselves when they haven't been used for a while.

After a good rain and both the windshield and wiper blades are really clean...it doesn't do it.

I can also clean the windshield really well and clean the edges of the wiper blades with an alcohol soaked paper towel and it doesn't do it.

Posted Image

My wipers will do that if they haven't been used in a while.

It is annoying and can be a minor distraction when driving.

My OPINION is, that it is caused by a tiny layer of (for lack of a better word) GUNK that builds up on the windshield and on the wiper blades themselves when they haven't been used for a while.

After a good rain and both the windshield and wiper blades are really clean...it doesn't do it.

I can also clean the windshield really well and clean the edges of the wiper blades with an alcohol soaked paper towel and it doesn't do it.

That makes a lot of sense. It's been really dry in Austin, and we have no covered parking at work. When this happened, there was a lot of mud and gunk all over. Plus I did not have a change to wash my CTS this week.

Thanks again.

It could easily be the high dollar wiper blades; soft rubber.

Your local H-E-B should stock BAR KEEPERS FRIEND (BKF).

BKF is a very mild abrasive that is safe for plastic and works well on my glass top cooking surface. Try it on a small test section of your glass.

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind.

Clean the windshield and wipe the blades down with a wet rag. You'll be amazed at the "dead rubber" that comes off. Then try an application of Rain-X. I swear by that stuff. Best part is you won't even need to use the wipers.

The rainx is good I have some in stock also,but I've found that cleaning your windsheild/blades with 50/50 vineagar and distilled water in a spray bottle really helps to clean that stuff up, temp fix only tho...I normally do this after a good bath!

look1-1-1.jpg

Archived