CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strut cartridge for 1998 SLS

JLAWS

I'm helping a friend find struts for his 98 SLS. I believe that year didn't have StabilitraK for SLS ? So he would have non eletronic controlled suspension ? According to GMPartsdirect, those are only $80 each compared to Electronically controlled going for $380 each !! He is getting a service suspension message alot.

pleas advise, thanks

All 1998 Sevilles had stabilitrak.

Just for clarity though,

Electronic suspension allows the struts/shocks to be softer at low speeds, and more firm at high speeds.

Stabilitrak senses if the car is beginning to spin, and applies brakes in such a way as to correct the spin.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I'm helping a friend find struts for his 98 SLS. I believe that year didn't have StabilitraK for SLS ? So he would have non eletronic controlled suspension ? According to GMPartsdirect, those are only $80 each compared to Electronically controlled going for $380 each !!

If his car is getting a "service suspension" message, and the struts are bad, it means that the car has active struts. As Bruce said, all '98 Sevilles have StabiliTrak, which means that all '98 Sevilles have active struts, which means that your friend is going to have to purchase the expensive struts. The $80 units are passive struts, and weren't used on Sevilles that year (not sure why it's coming up under GMPartsdirect). Some Eldorado and Deville models starting using passive struts from the factory in 1997, and this would have continued into 1998. But the Seville was all active, including 1998.

By the way, '98 was the first Model Year for the G-chassis under the Seville, which is what the Aurora and Riviera are based on. I don't know if a passive strut can be retrofitted to that application or not. They make passive struts for the E/K cars for some MYs in the 1990s, but I'm not sure if you can get them for a '98 MY G car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived