CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I think it is the bearing??

EJPut

When I turn to the left, even if it is very slight, I can hear a humming/moan sound, but only when I am turning left. I think it is the wheel bearing but am not sure. Does this sound like it would be a bearing? If so, how hard is it to change?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

it's most likely your front right hub-bearing. Tons of information in archives check also out old board archives. It's a relatively easy and cheap repair . The part is below $100

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

If it is the hub bearing its a very easy job to do. Four bolts and you access them through a hole in the hub flange. You just need to remove the rotor and caliper and a large nut. You will need a torque wrench to retorque the bolts.

However, a bad tire will also give you a noise on slight off center turns, check to see if you have roughness or sawtoothing on your front tires before you assume its the bearing. This photo is for a 91 Seville but it will give you a sense of what you have.

post-3-1096072517.jpg

Eric,

it's most likely your front right hub-bearing. Tons of information in archives check also out old board archives. It's a relatively easy and cheap repair . The part is below $100

It sounds like it is coming from the left? I typed in wheel bearing in the archives and nothing but my post came up??

That for sure sounds like a wheel bearing. We had the same problem with our LHS when we first bought it. Very easy fix on the Chryco at least, except for the ABS sensor we broke taking the wheel bearing out...it cost more than the bearing <_<:P . The sound was coming from the left as well; I could feel the grinding in the firewall on my foot. Whenever you would corner hard from right to left, it would get loud and then go away, get loud then go away. It turned out to be the left one as well. Changed the bearing...smooth sailing.

Spence

Thanks, I will get going on it soon. One last question, do I need any special tool to remove the bearing?

yes you need kind of puller. I made it myself from two pieces of steel angle from SEARS hardware store and I used the rotor as puller as I recall. YOu will need alsoa torx (50 or 55 i do not remember) and 34 deep throat socket. Make search, use any date option in new board search engine.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I don't recall needing any type of puller. If we are talking about removing the axle spline from the hub, there is a dimple in the center and I used a brass rod to tap the axle out, obviously if the spline is frozen some sort of puller is in order. I probably would devise something similar to adallak.

Archived