CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pump the gas pedal?

Phillip

The other day, my wife had our 96 STS and it stalled right in front of a dealer. It wouldn't restart, so they pushed it into the yard. The service manager claimed you should pump the gas three times before you start it. The car started this time.

I have never heard of pumping the gas with fuel injected cars. Does this make sense?

Phillip

And remember that plushing the accelerator to thefloor and holding it is NOT the same thing as pumping it three times!

Makes no sense at all. That's old school stuff for caburated motors. The only time you use the pedal is (like the other guys said) to clear a flooded condition by holding the pedal to the floor with one stroke.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

When you pump the pedal, all you are doing is letting air into the throttle body. I don't see how that would help you start the car unless you have a lot of carbon build up in the throttle body.

On the occasion that a fuel injected car is flooded I would push the accelerator to the floor and start it.  It works.  But as a normal routine thing ... Nope!

Jim White

When you push the pedal to the floor and engine is below 1000rpm, you shut off all fuel injectors !!! It is called WOT (wide open throttle) bypass. This works on almost all Fuel Injected cars.

If you have to do this regularly to start the car then the problem is usually a leaky injector.

Archived