CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What will I need for a N* head job

blk987

Hello out there I plan on replacing the head gaskets Im wondering if anyone can help me with my inventory list of parts that will be needed. Every time I pick up a book or look at a link to a N* on the computer I find out more and more things that I will have to do ontop of retapping and replacing the head gaskets. Its a 98 deville and so far I have researched the stud kit at northstar performance so I will be getting those, I was wondering about other gaskets like rear seals, valve cover seal and things like that if anyone could tell me what else I should consider once the engine is out. I do plan on the little things like fluids, plugs and wires. Someone had told me to replace a/c lines, heater lines since it would be easier once the motor is out if they are bad but its not like I can go to the money tree in the back yard. I was also kinda worried that once the heads are off whats the chance that they are beyond reusing and need to be replaced? If those need work done or need to be replaced that might be the deciding factor that I might have to get rid of the old deville. Any parts, special tools, tips from past experiences or just advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!!!

think there is a similar thread about doing the job. need a big tool set. should drop motor out the bottom of car so you need a lift or can use an engine hoist and lift body. need an engine stand. so you really need a bit of room. can do it outside in driveway if neighbors don't mind. how many miles on car?

Out of a difficulty scale of 5, I would say this is a 5

We have another member beginning to do this job right now, his name is STEVE, Ill link you to his thread

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

think there is a similar thread about doing the job. need a big tool set. should drop motor out the bottom of car so you need a lift or can use an engine hoist and lift body. need an engine stand. so you really need a bit of room. can do it outside in driveway if neighbors don't mind. how many miles on car?

About 110,000 miles are on the car. Easy miles too the only driver was my father in law.

I am a professional transmission mechanic and self employed at my own business. I tackled the head gasket job on my wifes 1998 sts this week and it is not for the faint of heart. Un believeable what I have had to do to get the heads off this car.. Once I got the engine out, dropping the whole cradle,engine and trans, I thought it would be easy street. Wrong Wrong Wrong..Even if you have replaced engines, put on headgaskets on other vehicles, ect, throw it all out the window, as your not even on the same planet when it comes to this job,,,good luck or as I was told,

RUN FORREST RUN!!!!!

a trans mechanic should be an expert at dropping the subframe and than trans. you say dropping the motor is a HUGE job. do you think dropping a trans out the bottom of a FWD car is also a big job?

actually dropping the motor and trans out with the cradle is not as hard as taking the heads off the engine without removing it from the cradle. I do drop frames every week and its not a big deal,I just cant believe it when I see on here where someone claims they have never done mechanic work and claims they have changed the heads on one of these cars without pulling it out of the car..Its hard to do with the engine out of the car if you dont take it out of the crade..I guess its what ever you get used to..Its a difficult job netherless.. gm_fan

ok, i see your point. yes, stripping down the motor to get the heads off is a royal pain. GM must have stock in an aluminum refinery since that darn coolant crossover is about 20lbs.

Archived