CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thumping noise confirmed!

epricedright

Well I finally confirmed the thumping noise I was getting zero to 20 while the engine was hot...number one main bearing knock. With my wife power braking in the drive :o , and me loosening the belt tensioner with a 1/2 breaker bar :unsure: , the noise subsided :D . What a relief as I was thinking it was something more serious. Hard to believe that noise will be just a nuisance and that's it. I'm going to try a 50/50 mix of 10w30 & 10w40 as you suggested Mike and see if that helps. If not, I'll try 5 qts. of 10w30 and 1 qt. straight 30w as suggested by someone else. Thank you everyone for all your help with this!

You have low mileage on that car don't you? It may make sense to use 30W instead of 10W40. If you have low mileage I would start with one qt of 10W40. The reason I started using a mix of 10W40 to minimize the knock was because I was over 100,000 miles. The knock starts getting noisy as the oil gets hotter and I believe thinner as a result. I would experiment and see what works for you

You have low mileage on that car don't you? It may make sense to use 30W instead of 10W40. If you have low mileage I would start with one qt of 10W40. The reason I started using a mix of 10W40 to minimize the knock was because I was over 100,000 miles. The knock starts getting noisy as the oil gets hotter and I believe thinner as a result. I would experiment and see what works for you

77K now. Are you suggesting trying 1 qt 10W40 and 5 qt. 10W30, or 1 qt. 30W and 5 qt. 10W30?

77K now. Are you suggesting trying 1 qt 10W40 and 5 qt. 10W30, or 1 qt. 30W and 5 qt. 10W30?

I never used the straight 30, I used a 10W40 mix and it worked for me. However if someone suggested straight 30 and I did not want to override that thought. However, tell me if I am wrong but 10W30 and 30W are pretty much the same when they are HOT. The W means winter, so in winter 10W will flow like 10W until the engine warms up. So in effect straight 30 is going to be 30 in the winter and I am not sure if I like that. The straight 30 may take longer to get up to spec oil pressure in the winter and cause cranking difficulty and not help much when the engine is HOT where you are trying to remedy the knock.

I believe what helps is for the oil to be a little thicker that is why I suggested 10W40, start with a quart and observe the results. That is my humble opinion based on the results I got in my 91 knocker. In hot AUGUST weather it may help to use a little more 10W40.

Here is an interesting article on oil

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/wh...htoildoiuse.htm

I'll try 5 qts. of 10w30 and 1 qt. straight 30w as suggested by someone else. Thank you everyone for all your help with this

remember that 4.9 takes only 5.5 qtr with dry filter. I have learned from the Guru that over filling will cause airation of the oil and as a result a valve tap.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have 176,000 miles and use 10W30. Should I be using 10W40 instead because of the mileage? I burn about 1 quart every 3000-4000 miles. :D

I don't want to potentially cause any problems with the use of 10W40 in an engine designed to use 10W30 all we need is for you to get improper upper engine oiling. The ONLY reason I began using it was to quiet my number one bearing knock that was the only reason. As you can see I have been suggesting it cautiously advising only one quart to hush the knock. It worked for me. Maybe we can do some research on the potential problems caused by using 10W40 in a tight engine. Be careful and follow the manufacturers recommendations is my advice.

I wonder if some GM EOS (Engine Oil Suppliment) would quiet the knock. Not a whole can, but enough to tame the knock. OR, some Rotella (I think) oil for diesel engines. THIS ought to get Guru primed, LOL...

rek

My 92 Seville has the same problem with the 4.9 thump. I started using 10W/40 in semi-synthetic form and haven't heard it since. My car has 150,000 on it....still runs great.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

My 92 Seville has the same problem with the 4.9 thump. I started using 10W/40 in semi-synthetic form and haven't heard it since. My car has 150,000 on it....still runs great.

Thanks for confirming my experience Caddynut! :D

For the 4.9's with higher mileage and/or the main bearing thump try the 15W40 Delo/Delvac/Rotella oils. Little more viscosity for the bearing noise to quite it down and not as much VI as the 10W40 oils....although the modern 10W40 oils won't hurt anything.

I have similar knock from 190 and up. Took th ebelt off and the knock still was there. Will oilc chainge take care off the knock and what else it could be if not #1 bearing?

Thanks in advance.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

For the 4.9's with higher mileage and/or the main bearing thump try the 15W40 Delo/Delvac/Rotella oils. Little more viscosity for the bearing noise to quite it down and not as much VI as the 10W40 oils....although the modern 10W40 oils won't hurt anything.

The GM EOS will likely not do much for the main bearing thump. The EOS is simply engine oil that is fortified with lots more ZDP for anti-wear protection at breakin/assembly/poor lubrication condition. The bearing thump is a clearance issue axacerbated by the side load from the accessory drive and has nothing to do with "wear" per se....so additional anti-wear protection or ZDP will not affect it. Viscosity is what will affect it and 15W40 or even 20W50 oils will certainly be a step in the right direction to quiet it down some.

I would not recommend the 15W40 or especially the 20W50 in colder weather as cold cranking speeds could be affected. In hot weather and moderate climates they are fine in the 4.9.

Thanks for the input everyone! Guru, are you suggesting using straight 15W40 in the summer or a mix of it? And what would you recommend for the winter?

I think he is recommending straight 15W40, I did not tell you before, but I was using straight 10W40 in my 91 and the noise was virtually gone. I was using caution recommending straight 10W40 to you as the engine spec is 10W30. I have seen 10W40 use in an engine designed for 10W30 create upper engine problems in a Ford Explorer so I was concerned. I am glad the bbobynski chimed in on this, he did however recommend a 15W40 brand that has less viscosity than typical 10W40s and then stated that 10W40 would not hurt anything. Post your results.

It gets QUITE cold in Indianapolis, I would be careful with the heavier viscosities, I once froze my butt off in Shelbyville...at 15 below zero.

It gets QUITE cold in Indianapolis, I would be careful with the heavier viscosities, I once froze my butt off in Shelbyville...at 15 below zero.

Thanks Scotty! Being winter is coming up, what would you recommend I do now? Both you and Guru say be careful w/ the heavier vicosities in the winter. Maybe use just one qt. of the 15W40 or 10W40?

Thanks Scotty! Being winter is coming up, what would you recommend I do now? Both you and Guru say be careful w/ the heavier vicosities in the winter. Maybe use just one qt. of the 15W40 or 10W40?

As long as bbobynski concurs I think you would be fine with straight 10W40 in the winter, given that when the oil is cold you have effective 10W. Try it I am anxious to see your results.

I'm a little confused :blink: Here's the quote from Guru:

try the 15W40 Delo/Delvac/Rotella oils. Little more viscosity for the bearing noise to quite it down and not as much VI as the 10W40 oils

I guess the quote above is confusing me. Which is thicker, or has more viscosity; 10W40 or 15W40? I would think I'd want the thinner viscosity for the winter.

I will let bbobynski clear this up. I went with the 10W for winter over the 15W but maybe he knows something about the brands that he recommended that I don't know (this is my 1000th post, yeaa!)....

Seriously though, I have really appreciated all the help & guidance you personally have given me along the way. I was really nervous to buy and maintain this used caddy, till I found this board. You are definately a great asset to this community! Keep up the good work!

Archived