CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

rear air suspension 1997 concours

johnnydone

i replaced the rear air shocks but they are not airing up there are no codes how do u start dianosis to find problem also there is a fuse box in trunk before i start tearing it apart is it on the right or left side

if i sit on the rear i hear the compressor but its not airing up the shocks it will run continual until i get off the trunk then stops

One of two things are going on, you have a leak in the tubing or the compressor is not putting out. Next time the compressor is running disconnect one of the shocks and see if air is being produced. It continues to run as the car is not lifting to the shut off position. If air is coming out look for a leak, however a leak that bad you would probably hear, my guess is that the compressor is not putting out. Before you changed the struts did the system work? You may need a new head for your compressor, I think it utilizes a reed style valve body, they sometimes can rust closed from not being used but I am not 100% sure its a reed system, will look in the manual later. Let us know what you find.

the old shocks were not funtioning the shop wwhere i took the car re3commended replacement they wanted so much money i installed arnott myself

I replaced a compressor head on my 91 and don't recall it being pricey, now that i think about it, it was not a reed style my Sears compressor is a reed style and I had to replace it also. Are you getting air at the struts? If not I would look to a problem with your compressor especially if it is running.

dont know yet cant check out until tomorrow   o well finally got to hear from the caddy famous scotty thank you, john

Well I don't know about famous, but thanks, now bruce, logan, bbobynski, kevin, jason, ian, larry, john sundeen among others, now they are famous :P

Here is a diagram of the compressor head for you to digest, I will email you the ELC performance diagostic for you to look over if you send me your email address, this internal email system does not permit attachments. But basically if the compressor runs they point toward the compressor being the problem and state replace.

post-3-1095559284.jpg

the old shocks were not funtioning the shop wwhere i took the car re3commended replacement they wanted so much money i installed arnott myself

How hard was the strut replacement? I need to do front and back this winter with springs. Thanks

ny e mail is bankcardsetup@aol.com thanks for the great post i wonder if it just blew the gasket

\

there is an exscellent post on strut replacementc on the arnott site and in the how to section on this board

onthe front be carefull not to pull the axle out keep pressure on it and work around

on the rear shocks you will need a 50 and a 45 torx for the top bolt i couldnt break mine loose thanks to an incredible neighbor who seems to be able to do things like that 2nd nature to him i came out ok

here are the differences between arnott and boston suspension

arnottc shocks are built in china for arnott they have a wire attached to plug in to the ride control to defeat the error message

boston gives u the resistor and u solder it into your existing wires (cut the wires off your old shocks) boston uses monroe or gabriel parts

ARNOTT DOES NOT SUPPLY NEW MOUNTING HARDWARE WITH THERE REAR SHOCKS BOSTON DOES IF U HAVE TO CUT OFF YOUR RER SHOCKS U MAY HAVE TO WAIT AND BUY FROM CADDILLAC 10 APIECE PLUS SHIPPING ALTHOUGH I GOT LUCKY I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE TO USE BOSTON ON THE REAR

If the compressor is running when the rear of the car is loaded, the height sensor is OK and the compressor is probably OK. Inspect every inch of the air lines from the compressor to the rear struts. If you find a hole in the line, a splice kit available from the dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

ny e mail is bankcardsetup@aol.com thanks for the great post i wonder if it just blew the gasket

\

there is an exscellent post on strut replacementc on the arnott site and in the how to section on this board

onthe front be carefull not to pull the axle out keep pressure on it and work around

on the rear shocks you will need a 50 and a 45 torx for the top bolt i couldnt break mine loose thanks to an incredible neighbor who seems to be able to do things like that 2nd nature to him i came out ok

here are the differences between arnott and boston suspension

arnottc shocks are built in china for arnott they have a wire attached to plug in to the ride control to defeat the error message

boston gives u the resistor and u solder it into your existing wires (cut the wires off your old shocks) boston uses monroe or gabriel parts

ARNOTT DOES NOT SUPPLY NEW MOUNTING HARDWARE WITH THERE REAR SHOCKS BOSTON DOES IF U HAVE TO CUT OFF YOUR RER SHOCKS U MAY HAVE TO WAIT AND BUY FROM CADDILLAC 10 APIECE PLUS SHIPPING ALTHOUGH I GOT LUCKY I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE TO USE BOSTON ON THE REAR

Thanks I will look at the article. I plan to buy OEM front and rear struts along with OEM springs. I know they are more expensive but I want to see this system work as designed. I figure if it lasts another 60K I will be happy.

I AM glad to see you have that much money fronts are 800 apiece rears are about 700 a piece i think you should talk to thec tech at boston suspension you will be about 2500 ahead thanks john

I AM glad to see you have that much money fronts are 800 apiece rears are about 700 a piece i think you should talk to thec tech at boston suspension you will be about 2500 ahead thanks john

Believe it or not they are not that expensive, I have gotten prices of 500 to 600 I know they are expensive, but if I have to replace with passive I would rather sell the car. How did your leveling system turn out?

have not been able to diagnosis yet elc would not activate with tire off need to get the car up higher and even i think for bootleg diag

to my embarrassment it turned out to be a loose hose thanks to everyone who replied and you too scotty

Terrific. I learned something here, I would not have thought it was a lose or leaking hose as you would have heard it.... Glad you got it going...

Archived