CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Frightening Experience!

rjhat

I was going to attempt to change the oxygen sensor that is causing my caddy to fail emissions. I jacked up the front of the car and placed 2 jackstands under it. After about a minute under the car, I heard the infamous sound of crunching metal. I immediately got out from under the car just as the wheels made contact with the ground. The car had CRUSHED the jackstands!!! I still haven't made the repairs, and at this point I am considering letting a garage with a lift do the job for me. For all the novices out there like me, this is a VERY HEAVY CAR, BE CAREFULL!! I probably should have left the jack under the car for extra support, but I felt that the jackstands were enough. I guess I was wrong and it almost cost me dearly. The jackstands were rated at 3000 lbs each, but were quite old. PLEASE, don't make the same mistake i did! Use extra support whenever your under your caddy!

I got some nylon ramps that are rated at 6000lbs. I love them. But when necessary, I use some very beafy jackstands that my dad has. I've heard of ramps failing as well, so you really have to use a good judgement as to wether or not your equipment is up to the task. <_<

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Very scary stuff - glad everyone is okay. I had a set of ramps collapse under my old '84 Deville just before I was about to slide under it. Very close call. I now use a heavy duty jack, jackstands and cinder blocks behind my wheels to keep it from rolling. Hell, I have even used the concrete curb sometimes!

DIY's beware and be careful.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Just don't try to use concrete blocks to support the weight of your car. They will fail suddenly and completely when overloaded...and they're not as strong as you think! Particularly when used "sideways", with the openings parallel to the ground. Lost a friend that way.

BTW, where in China do you go to complain about ramps/jackstands collapsing?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I got some nylon ramps that are rated at 6000lbs. I love them. But when necessary, I use some very beafy jackstands that my dad has. I've heard of ramps failing as well, so you really have to use a good judgement as to wether or not your equipment is up to the task. <_<

You found ramps that your bottom cowling will clear on your STS ?

post-3-1076298605.jpg

Fortunately I wasn't hurt (or worse). I do agree that 3 ton jack stands should have held up well, but i think they are as old as i am or older. Possibly had some rust spots. I will be MUCH more careful about what I use to hold my car up from now on. If it had been a smaller vehicle, they probably wouldn't have collapsed. I still haven't got the nerve up to get back under the car. All i have now is a 2 ton hydraulic jack, and I would never ever get under a car with it being the only support. They can fail without warning, or even burst under pressure. (I saw that once!) The company that made the stands are probably not even it business anymore, especially considering the performance that they gave me! The concrete curb idea is a pretty good one. I think i'll try that if I have to get back under the caddy.

I know the feeling - I had a flat on a front wheel last year - used the factory scissors jack - placing it according to the owner's manual on flat ground - it twisted and lowered itself after I removed the wheel! the repair service, of course, came along with a floor jack and took the wheel to the shop for a new tire, returned with the new tire and we were on our way So...I went to Pep Boys and picked up a 2 ton floor jack for $17.88! - I will not use a scissors jack again!

I'm a newbie here, and am still catching up on the archives, but I thought I'd share my jack philosophy.

1) Always block the tires (if any are on the ground).

You can trust the parking mechanisms when all four wheels are on the ground and your head isn't under the car, but once you start lifting things in the air, its no longer good enough. The strongest jacks won't help you if the car rolls off them.

I use 4x4s about 12" long. If I'm really ambitious, I'll run them through the table saw and lop a corner off at 45 degrees so it fits up against the tire flatter.

Oh, and block both sides of the tires - you don't want to guess which way the car might roll.

2) Always use more than one source of support.

I have several good sets of jackstands and a sturdy floor jack. After lowering the car onto the jackstands, I keep the floor jack extended at some point under the vehicle so it is there if one of the jackstands fails.

If I have any wheels off, I slide them under the car in strategic places so if all else fails, the wheels will hold up part of the car - I might still get injured, but at least I might avoid being crushed completely. It keeps them out of the way too.

3) Shake the car before getting under it.

(Do this before you remove the wheels/tires). If you have the car up on jacks or stands and you don't feel comfortable vigorously shaking it, then you have no business getting underneath it. If it falls, then you may have just saved your life. If you're afraid of damaging the car, then maybe you should consider your means of supporting it.

Great advice! Also consider, if you will be taking off the wheels, loosening them before you completely lift the weight off the wheels. I'll pump up the jack just enough so that the rubber is still barely contacting the ground, and break the lugs loose then. Then I jack it up, set it on stands, and remove the nuts/wheel. When I go to put them back on, I tighten them down in sequence as far as I can by holding the wheel when it's in the air. Then I slowly let the car down until the rubber is again barely contacting the floor. Then I torque the lugs down to 100 lbs.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived