CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low speed wobble side to side

Scotty

When the car is parked in your driveway, does it sit at a normal ride height-front and rear? If not, start looking for a damages suspension component.

It could be that the struts are just shot if the roads are as bad as you describe. I thought Michigan's roads were bad.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When the car is parked in your driveway, does it sit at a normal ride height-front and rear?  If not, start looking for a damages suspension component.

It could be that the struts are just shot if the roads are as bad as you describe.  I thought Michigan's roads were bad.....

It definately sits at the proper height no question. Its just that its so soft... as if it were riding on jelly donuts, :D and it just goes right down to the ground with very little ability to support much more weight than itself (sort of like me!). Does that help, now what do you think? I think it was bbobyski once told me it was struts when I suggested it was springs as he explained that they were unable control the rate of descent or to control the suspension.

Based on your description, I think the front struts are shot. The springs are ok in all likelihood. The rears will usually outlast the fronts.

Have you priced some of the passive struts such as Arnott that have the resistor to fool the ride control computer?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Based on your description, I think the front struts are shot. The springs are ok in all likelihood. The rears will usually outlast the fronts.

Have you priced some of the passive struts such as Arnott that have the resistor to fool the ride control computer?

You know what do you think? I know passives are out there and they are cheaper, but there is something that interests me to see how this suspension would ride "stock" and back to spec if you know what I mean. If I go to the trouble to do the struts I will do it myself and do the springs and replace anything rubber, bushings, etc at the same time. Besides cost is there any benefit to passive?

The only benefit is the reduced cost. I really doubt your springs are bad.

I like to keep the vehicles stock but those electronic struts are pricey. My '96 Seville has a bad actuator in the right rear strut. The "Service Ride Control" appeared at 74,000 miles...It still rides well so I am going to wait until the ride quality degrades and then replace them.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hi Scotty

On those ball joints some of them have a small weep hole on the rubber bladder so the grease will bleed out when overfilled. Make sure that is clean(free) or you will split the rubber bladder when greasing the ball joint I learned this the hard way It didn't cause a problem but I monitored the baldder I just wrapped a rag around it while using a grease gun..One time I just put a grease gun on the fitting and didn't check the weep hole and pumped away and it split the bladder..

The Symmetry's are good tire ride nice but they don't ride as well as the xw4's that probably came on the car. All in all the symmetry's are very good. I had them on a 95 deville and on my wifes 98 deville.

Good luck finding the wobble..

Jim

Good luck finding the wobble..

Jim

That is interesting about the weep hole, I have never seen that. I did find the wobble problem, I had STEEL belts SHOWING... :blink: Thanks for the information on the Symetrys....

That is interesting about the weep hole, I have never seen that. I did find the wobble problem, I had STEEL belts SHOWING...  Thanks for the information on the Symetrys....

The steel belts showing is not the cause of your problem. Unless, of course they were showing to the extent that large areas of the tire would be riding on just steel with no rubber contacting the road surface. THAT you might feel. You still either have a seperated or twisted belt in a tire (which you are going to replace anyway) or a bent wheel. At any rate, a tire/wheel assembly is not running true.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

That is interesting about the weep hole, I have never seen that. I did find the wobble problem, I had STEEL belts SHOWING...  Thanks for the information on the Symetrys....

The steel belts showing is not the cause of your problem. Unless, of course they were showing to the extent that large areas of the tire would be riding on just steel with no rubber contacting the road surface. THAT you might feel. You still either have a seperated or twisted belt in a tire (which you are going to replace anyway) or a bent wheel. At any rate, a tire/wheel assembly is not running true.

Boy I hope it is the cause of the wobble, I have not had a chance to replace the tire yet. It has an 18 inch section of steel belt showing and it appears that the tire is bulging in the area. Its possible that the pot hole I hit ripped that section of the tire that was weakened from wear. I need to replace the tire this weekend. Thanks

Now THAT I will believe. But there is a BIG difference between "steel belt showing" and "tire bulging in that area". I think you've found your problem.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Now THAT I will believe.  But there is a BIG difference between "steel belt showing" and "tire bulging in that area".  I think you've found your problem.

Oh good, I was hoping I found it, you made me nervous :P

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, driving home a '79 Coupe Deville I just bought from some guy on this board to resell, was 40 miles from home driving down the highway...car was pulling hard to the right, then all of the sudden, it felt like a tire went flat and I was driving over railroad tracks! :o Pulled over at a gas station and was checking which tire I needed to replace w/ the spare, everything looked fine :blink:, tires were all up and I couldn't feel anything protruding from the tires, so I then crawled underneath the car and then BOOM, I heard this loud explosion, scared the crap out of me :o , but I still couldn't find anything wrong as it was dark. All the tires were still up. I figured it was someone elses car backfired or a gunshot, as there were other people and cars around. Got back on the road to limp home, it drove better now, no more bouncing and it no longer pulled to the right, and then I heard this big racket and looked in my rear view mirror and saw something bouncing along the highway behind me. Pulled over again along the shoulder, turns out it was part of my tread that had come off (4"x8" of tread) , but the tire was still holding air :o . The tire had seperated and it ballooned out and that was the explosion I heard earlier. Made it home, tire still up, next morning it was flat. One of the damnest things I ever experienced. Doubled my money in 2 days on the Coupe though, so in the end, it was all good! :):D

Hi Mike, I've always been a big Michelin fan, I had Michelim Symmetry's on our minivan, and after 30k, they were bald past the wear indicators. Probably didn't rotate them as regular as I should have, but I still won't be buying Symmetry's again. Here are some reviews for the Symmetry's from TireRack.com:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComme...romCompare1=yes

I bought 2 Bridgestone Turanza LS-T's from Costco a month ago and they seem like some pretty good tires so far.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComme...commentStatus=P

I have some road noise; can't tell if they're coming from the front Uniroyal Tiger Paws that are on there. I had one bad tire and I wanted to check the Turanza's out 1st to see if I liked them before buying all 4. I think I'll buy the other 2 this weekend, and see if the noise goes away. The Tiger Paws were on the car when I bought it, and are practically new, but they gotta go as I want a matching set, besides I despise Tiger Paws...crappy tire!. The Turanza's are white walls, which are becoming hard to find! Nice thing about Costco is, if you don't like them down the road, you can return them for a full refund. ;)

Archived