CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C&D CTS-V

Finally got my March 2004 Car & Driver in the mail. They did a 6-page coverage on the CTS-V, apparently doing a side-by-side track comparison with the BMW M3 and M5. Only numbers given were for the CTS-V, although comparative numbers were discussed for the BMWs.

Overall they liked the CTS-V, especially at $23K less than the M5. They ran into three problems during the test: they discovered later that during the test one of the tires had a slow leak, the Cadillac reported high oil temperature which limited track time and performance, and they noted axle tramp/wheel hop during hard acceleration. They also complained about the shifting feel, saying that the earlier demo they drove was too rubbery, but this one was too stiff.

The CTS-V trailed the M5 in acceleration, but beat the M3 to 100 mph and to 140 mph. The Caddy was reported as the slowest quartermile at 13.7s at 107 mph.

On the skidpad the CTS-V ruled, at 0.9 g's. The M3 was fastest on the track, with the CTS-V a second slower and the M5 a tenth behind the CTS-V.

0-30 2.2s

0-40 2.9s

0-50 4.3s

0-60 5.2s

0-70 6.8s

0-100 12.2s

0-140 25.7s

Quarter 13.7s at 107 mph

Highs: Supersedan punch, knife-edge handling, lots of space, loaded with goodies.

Lows: Tricky to launch, electronic hysteria, reluctant shifter

Verdict: An all-American bahn stormer that's arguably the best buy in its class.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Wait till' you see one in person....they are MUCH bigger than the regular CTS's, they look mean....like they want to eat a s500....you will definitley notice the differance between the CTS-V and the CTS when it rolls by....I would take one over a s500 any day.....good job GM..( now release a eldorado with a stick and I will be in heaven)

A.J.

Yea !!! Hopefully they'll get something to take on that high HP Mercedes I've heard of. Actually, when I bought my STS I ctually considered a CTS. Unfortunately the only ones I could find had a manual transmission. Didn't feel like banging gears.

I prefer the looks of the Seville and the size does help when I'm hauling the family around but still darned nice automobiles and quite spunky I thought.

Jim White

I just got my magazine too. I am wondering what's going on with the wheel hop thing. It isn't normal for a production vehicle to have this problem is it? Now, I know that there are 400 horses going to those back tires, but you'd think that they'd have figured how to put it to the ground a little better. Do you think that this is a problem on all of them or just their test model?

It looks like an awesome car. I'd love to pick one up in the near future!

I think it's not a design defect so much as a poor combo of those run flat tires -- which are not great performers -- cold weather, and a sticky track.

Bruce

The Car & Driver CTS-V article has made it to the web at

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=7780

232004142359.jpg

Bruce

:D to acklac7..................The CTS V is roughly 4.5 inches longer,1.5 inches taller, and has an inch more on the front and rear track. I must say that the CTS V is much meaner looking and will turn heads.

• 2 weeks later...

Motor Trend April 2004 has a comparo with a CTS-V and Jaguar S-Type R (390 hp).

For the CTS-V What's Hot:

• Another worthy vessel for the LS6 engine
  • Slick six-speed manual
  • True sport-sedan handling

What's Not:

• Exterior styling too "distinctive"
  • Interior styling too Teutonic
  • Axle hop and lumpy idle

Don't Miss:

Center armrest is reengineered to make it easier to use the six-speed manual shifter.

Bottom Line: America's bargain-priced M5

0-30 2.0

0-40 2.9

0-50 4.0

0-60 5.1

0-70 6.5

0-80 8.2

0-90 9.8

0-100 12.3

Quarter mile 13.48@105.33

Braking, 60-0: 121 ft

600-ft slalom: 65.0

They concluded that they'd rather have the Jaguar, even for $12K more and with slightly worse performance times; go figure.

They cited the same wheel-hop issue limiting acceleration, but did not have a leaky tire or oil temp problem.

Bruce

i've been reading Motor Trend for years, and I don't reacall them ever chosing anything American over Japanese or German, when this subscription runs out

I am not going to renew, the only reason I have kept it all these years is to read

about Cadillac

Motor Trend April 2004 has a comparo with a CTS-V and Jaguar S-Type R (390 hp).

For the CTS-V What's Hot:

• Another worthy vessel for the LS6 engine
  • Slick six-speed manual
  • True sport-sedan handling

What's Not:

• Exterior styling too "distinctive"
  • Interior styling too Teutonic
  • Axle hop and lumpy idle

Don't Miss:

Center armrest is reengineered to make it easier to use the six-speed manual shifter.

Bottom Line: America's bargain-priced M5

0-30 2.0

0-40 2.9

0-50 4.0

0-60 5.1

0-70 6.5

0-80 8.2

0-90 9.8

0-100 12.3

Quarter mile 13.48@105.33

Braking, 60-0: 121 ft

600-ft slalom: 65.0

They concluded that they'd rather have the Jaguar, even for $12K more and with slightly worse performance times; go figure.

They cited the same wheel-hop issue limiting acceleration, but did not have a leaky tire or oil temp problem.

Has this issue hit the stands yet or do you subscribe?

Interesting that they would spend all the extra $$ for the performance enhancements of the Type R Jag and settle for sub CTS-V specs.

Up front they seem to prefer the Jag for styling so the CTS-V really didn't get serious consideration.

Road and Track have their review CTS-V online now here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...mber=1&preview=

Here is the data panel (warning - largish file):

rtctsvdata.png

Bruce

I have read a number of posts by current CTS-V owners complaining about the wheel hop issue. Mustang Cobras have suffered with this problem for years and a number of inexpensive after market fixes are available.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/projects/snakeyes_mods.htm

Certainly some enterprising company will produce a similar product for the CTSV.

Most amazing was the report from one owner who snapped the rear axle. Now there is someone who does NOT have a light touch on the accelerator.

Bruce

Archived