keith_99_sts Posted September 4, 2004 Report Share Posted September 4, 2004 Drove home yesterday night, about 20 miles, and parked in my driveway. Went out tonight and the car is dead. Turned the key and nothing. Hooked up a voltmeter to the battery and it read 0.5 Volts! Cr*p. Jump started the car and the dash voltage display read out 13.3 Volts. This dropped to 13 Volts and held there while idling. Took the car for a short 10 minute drive and immediately the volts went up to about 14.0. Parked the car in the driveway, engine running, dropped down to 13.0V. Turned off the engine and the headlights stayed on for a couple of minutes, just like normal. So the battery can't be too bad, can it? The view hole in the battery is a black hole, no green at all. Is it normal for a battery to just die, in the summer? It's not like it is -10 Fahrenheit overnight. Could it be the alternator? Seems unlikely, as I can drive the car apparently with no problems and the Volts go up when the engines revs go up, although I wouldn't go on a long drive until I get this fixed. Comments? I will probably take a drive to the Caddy dealer tomorrow and get a new battery and see if that is the problem. The battery is 5 years old, but hasn't given any problems till now. Maybe the dealer can reprogram my key fob that no longer opens the doors since I installed a new battery in the fob (grrr). Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.