CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Eldorado brake questions

Preston

From 1993-2002 are the brakes all the same? Same size rotors, calipers, etc? Where can you get aftermarket rotors and calipers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a list of specifications for eldorados somewhere?

Thanks,

Preston

From 1993-2002 are the brakes all the same? Same size rotors, calipers, etc?

Preston, the front brake size was increased for the 1997 model year from 11.0" to 11.9". I would assume those are the only two sizes. Along with the brake increase came a new front suspension design, a new aluminum knuckle, and probably a larger caliper as well. Two brake generations: "Before 1997" and "1997 and later", for the Eldorados.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Do you think the aluminum knuckles are as strong as the older ones(cast iron?)?

I guess so. I haven't seen any info to the contrary. But they won't rust, and even with the larger brakes, the aluminum knuckles shaved 4 lbs. of unsprung weight from each front corner. If you are doing some sort of Cadillac buildup, I'd definitely look for the 97+ aluminum knuckles.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 2 years later...

If you are doing some sort of Cadillac buildup, I'd definitely look for the 97+ aluminum knuckles.

Well, I searched..

This is the closest I've come the info I'm looking for.

Does anyone know if/how I can adapt 97+ brakes on my 95 Eldorado? I recently got some 18" DTS wheels and the stock brakes are struggling.

IPB Image

You need to get 18" tires with the same rolling circumference (rotations per mile) as the standard 16" tires. That will be cheaper than changing out the brakes, and it will also solve the speedometer problem. Your transmission will work better and your car will have the drivabilty you paid for.

If the problem appeared when you made the tire change, call The Tire Rack. Have your make and model (1995 Eldorado or ETC), the original tire size, the tire size that is on it now, ready in front of you when you call. Be preapred to tell them your preferences in ride, wet traction, dry traction and performance, etc. They will know what to do. You may be able to go through their online tire selection guide and just see if your existing new tires turn up or not, or look up rolling circumerence of your stock tires and your existing new tires.

If the problem was there before you started, or your new tires have the same rolling circumference as the originals (and from the photo it looks like they probably are close enough not to cause a problem with the brakes), then the brakes you have on the car are broken. I would recommend that you fix them, even if you proceed with an upgrade. I've seen posts here that the flexible brake lines can swell shut inside, and that you might look at that. Something so simple can make a lot of difference. And, you'll have to fix them to make the upgrade work anyway.

I've never heard about people complaining about brakes on the 1993-1996. The extra size might make a difference in dealing with traffic on the Authbahn, and conceivably there might be something in real-world driving in the USA, but that's a lot of time and money. I would fix the existing brakes and drive a 1997-up before I invested in upgrading the bakes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hi Jim,

thanks for the well thought out worded reply. You're right on the money about the rolling circumference of the tires. My new ones do not match the original equipment.

(and from the photo it looks like they probably are close enough not to cause a problem with the brakes)
However, that said I do believe the additional weight of the DTS rims is as much to blame or more, as the slightly larger diameter tires.

Your suggestion about the brake lines is excellent! For some reason I hadn't thought of that. And these hoses are at least 6 years old.

I've always felt that better brakes = a safer ride. I put EBC Green pads on the front the last time I did the brakes and they stop the car noticeably faster. That is, until now. Perhaps drilled or slotted rotors would improve my braking ability?

I noticed aftermarket brake kits for 97+ cars but nothing for the older cars. :( My thoughts were, if I could change out the knuckle (and possibly a few other parts) maybe I could fit one on.

This is a nice little kit here. Though by the time I adapted my car to fit it, the price tag would be considerably more.

Thoughts?

Archived