CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Member/New Caddy Owner

Hi everyone,

I just joined. Less than a month ago, I purchased a 1993 Cadillac Deville for $800 and became hooked. Despite the fact that the A/C doesn't work, the front windows don't roll down, the actuator in the trunk doesn't work, and neither does the radio...this car has outperformed my expectations by leaps and bounds. I guess that is probably as much of a tribute to the previous owner as it is to the car itself. The only dummy light currently still on is the Service SSS, and I'm still working to figure it out. I have the original owners manual, which has helped.

I do have one question though. I had a friend do an oil change, replace the air filter and check the fuses. I have a question about a hose that comes out of the air filter that needs replaced and I want to know what to ask. Being a woman, I'm always conscious that sometimes parts stores are not quite as knowledgeable as they should be or think I will buy whatever they suggest. This hose is about a foot, or a little bit more, long. I have a transverse engine so it comes out of the left side (closest to the carbeurator) and bends a couple of times and seemingly ends close to the firewall. I'm thinking it might be a cold air hose, am I right?

My father drove Cadillac Brougham's <sp?> when I was young. This isn't the tanks he drove but it's big enough for me and it makes me feel closer to him than I thought it would. My hubby hates the car, it's doesn't have enough testosterone for him. He calls it my old lady car. I wasn't happy about it at first, but needed the transportation. Now, it has me hooked! I don't even mind driving it in 90+ weather with no A/C or working front windows!

Anyway, thanks for reading and any input on the care and feeding of my new baby would be greatly appreciated.

Robyn

welcomesmiley.gif

The first thing to do is to run the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) codes, write them down, and post them here. The link in my signature block is to a Caddyinfo page that has the instructions. If you want to start now, look at the fuses under a little black flap under the hood in front of the driver.

The SSS is the Speed Sensitive Steering. Electrically, this is two wires from the traction control module to the rack-and-pinion. The OBD code will tell the tale, but the problem is likely a connector loose or off of the module or the steering rack-and-pinion. The codes will likely tell you something about your A/C and possibly about the electric windows.

I take it that you have browsed the Caddyinfo forum and done a search or two. The people here include some very knowledgeable people, and people of all ages and walks of life, and a number of very bright and independent women. Many of them will be more than happy to help you work the kinks out of your 1993 Deville.

The 4.9 liter Cadillac V8 will likely help convert your husband, once he discovers its performance potential.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived