CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Generator L-terminal Circuit Problem 94 STS

Today I noticed a Battery No Charge Message. I checked my battery voltage and it was pretty low 11.4. I went home parked the car and 2 hours later started it up battery voltage was at 12.4. I took it out on the highway and battery voltage began decreasing rapidly after about 6 miles everything inside my car was blanks the only lights I still had left were very dim headlights. With the traction control disabled trans not shifting and barely any power I managed to make it to a friends house. When I got there I had just enough power to pull the code P110.................Generator L-terminal Circuit Problem. Tried Jumping the car battery gets up to about 12V and when I shift into drive car cuts off battery volts at 2. Could this be an alternator or something more serious?

Took the car to Autozone today and they hooked it up to a tester and said it's the alternator. Are they right or could it be the battery?

Sounds very reasonable. If your alternator does not charge the battery, the car will run until the battery is empty (with the battery powering all the electrical systems). However, completely discharging the battery like you have done will wear on it.

Even so, your battery may still be ok. I think a brand new car battery will last for about 30 deep-discharge cycles. The best thing you can do for your battery now is to fully charge it BEFORE making any attempts to start the car or drain large currents from it in any other ways. Lead-acid batteries (car batteries) are happiest when fully charged (as opposed to e.g. Li-ion batteries, which deteriorate the least when they are about half-charged). I might also mention that it is possible to optimize batteries differently - marine-type lead-acid batteries (like the ones use for electric outboard motors) are usually more tolerant to deep-discharge, but can handle less peak current.

I have also had the open L-terminal code several times on my '97 DeVille, but I never had any problems with the alternator or battery from it.

/Jonas

Took the battery to Autozone today they charged it and when I first put it in the the Voltage was at 12.4 but increased to 14.1 and stayed there. After I cut the car off and back on the Voltage stayed at 12.4 and I got the Battery No Charge message again along with the p110 code. At first it seemed as if the battery was being charged by the alternator and now no charge. Checked all the wires and connectors and nothing seems out of place.

Took the battery to Autozone today they charged it and when I first put it in the the Voltage was at 12.4 but increased to 14.1 and stayed there. After I cut the car off and back on the Voltage stayed at 12.4 and I got the Battery No Charge message again along with the p110 code. At first it seemed as if the battery was being charged by the alternator and now no charge. Checked all the wires and connectors and nothing seems out of place.

Did they change your alternator?

Archived