CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

need new brake pads?

Cadillac STS

I think my front brake pads need replacement. There is this horrible squeal that comes from the front wheels when i accelerate from a stop or when i let off the accelerator at low speeds 1mph-50mph...But its funny because when i do apply the brakes the squeal goes away?

Like for instance in parking lots, without putting my foot on either the accelerator or brake pedals the front brakes squeal, only braking will shut the things up...sounds wired but I hope you guys can help me?

EDIT: sorry to help you guys out a bit more the sound is more of a squeak then squeal. its simultaneously squeaking ..like a squeak...squeak…squeak..but as i go faster by pushing the accel the faster the squeaks get. as in the gap betwween squeaks is less

What could it be?

THe front brakes typically squeal as a warning that your pads are ready for replacement. The brakes have spring steel squeal sensors on them that scrape on the rotor to make the squeal. Do not ignore this noise as many people do, your next noise will be steel to steel grinding (pads or pad rivets against rotor). Your description is typical of worn front pads where the squeal stops on braking. Time for front brakes...

PS: I always by OEM pads, they come with the squeal sensors, if you buy aftermarket pads be sure they come with the squeal sensors or your first warning will be steel to steel... :(

The brakes have spring steel squeal sensors on them that scrape on the rotor to make the squeal. Do not ignore this noise as many people do, your next noise will be steel to steel grinding (pads or pad rivets against rotor)

your noise may also be bumper to bumper since the car will stop just a couple of feet farther when you could expect :o

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The brake wear indicators will typically squeal or "squeak, squeak, squeak" as the the indicator tab just barely touches the rotor but will frequently shut up when brake pressure is applied in the early stages. It will get worse if ignored and not go away when brake pressure is applied. As mentioned fix it now or you'll need rotors too.

well the passenger side took me about an hour...decided i needed a brake err break;  :D ... before i go onto the driver side..

hey this is my first time chanign my cars pads.. ill post pics later

Not bad if the calipers have the rubber cylindrical bushings in them that you have to pull out, replace and lube with grease. Did you resurface the rotors? Typically I take them to a machine shop and ask them to do a 'clean-up' cut.

I am not sure why they might be mushy. Make sure you bed them, I don't know the procedure exactly, but if you do a search under bedding the brakes posted by bbobynski you will find the procedure. It involves a series of high-speed stops..but its specific and you do not stop the vehicle fully only down to 5 mph. Maybe someone here will post it, I just searched the archive and can't find it.

Alright the other side took me about 20 min....brakes feel a bit mushy...which wasn’t an issue with the old pads...but they these new ones feel smoother and there’s no feeling of rubber being rubbed against rubber I get from the pedal when coming to a complete stop

After you've used the brakes a bit, they should firm up and feel better. Did you perform the "bedding" in process?.

Archived