CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

90Seville ignitition problem?

98Concours

On my 90Seville, every once in a while when I turn the key to start the car, nothing happens. It always starts on the second turn of the key. So, to do a little test, I turned the key to start the car and hold it there. Then with my other hand, I move the gearshift lever. It immediatly starts when I hit neutral or if I do it fast enough, it starts when i put it back in park. Makes me think it's the neutral safety switch. There's an adjustment procedure for the switch, but I don't understand it. I've read it over and over in the service manual, but just don't get it yet. In talking with the dealership service dept, they seem to think it's a problem with the VATS or the ignition switch. I DON'T get the wait 3 minute thing and like I said, It always starts on the second turn of the key. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

If you're not receiving the "Wait 3 Minutes" message, it's probably not the PASS system (VATS).

You have narrowed the problem to the neutral start switch - it needs to be adjusted.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks Kevin

That's kind of what I think. The service writer had the mechanic next to him and I could hear them talking. They both dismissed the neutral safety switch adjustment and kept saying VATS and also he mentioned that there are some wires by the ignition switch that sometimes wear out and it could be those. Then when I said it starts with i move the gear lever the just said to bring it in. I just don't think they know. I'll re-read how to adjust the switch again (for the thousanth time) lol and see If I can figure it out.

thanks again,

Jeff

Oh, It's only got 70k miles and I've tried 3 different ignition keys.

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

I had the wires break on the lock cylinder on my '93 Fleetwood a couple of weeks ago. I had the intermittent no-start along with the "PASS KEY FAULT" light. The car always started on the next attempt. I thought it was the key so I was using a brand new key when it did it the last time.... Once I disassembled the column, I could see that one of the wires was almost severed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If it starts by wiggling the gear shift my money is on the neutral safety switch. I adjusted one once on a '92 Deville. I do recall I had to read it several times. I remember that there is a hole somewhere that you have to drop a 1/8" drill bit into for alignment. Sorry I can't be of more help, it's been a while.

Archived