CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Intake Manifold Gasket

ken's caddy

1997 STS 75K miles:

I have or had a little coolant leak. I'm not sure where it was coming from. I put the pellets into the cooling system. (about ten days ago.) This may have fixed the problem. But I stopped at my local "corner" garage to ask him. He said tha GM has plastic intake manifold gaskets that like to break. Is this true for a "Northstar" motor? <_<

Thanks Ken

I think the Northstar intake is ok. GM is having some problems with the intakes on the Buick/Pontiac 3800. These intakes have passages for hot coolant....and start to leak after a while.

The problem is severe enough that there are aftermarket replacement manifolds for the 3800. But...they are plastic too.

Coolant does not run through a Northstar intake manifold.

Never heard of a Northstar intake breaking, unless someone pried on one without removing the bolts.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Yes and NO, mostly NO, since there is no coolant in the manifold. They ARE made of plastic. And they DON'T like to break. If they did break, your engine would idle VERY fast.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 4 months later...

threads over but for anybody searching..

The previous owner, like george said, must have forgot to unhook the clips.

anyways, it was dryed out and feel apart very easily. He rigged it with silicon.

I replaced it with an official GM part, price was $120 US (dealership). Have to buy the whole assembly.. Boot and the 3 connecting hoses, went in very easily.

Archived