CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High RPM on start

AaronM

Hi,

Yesterday I went to go get some gas. I turned on the STS and it reved up to about 2100 RPMs on the startup, then it slowly went down to 1500. I then restarted it several times, same thing. I popped the hood and sprayed some WD-40 on the throttle accellerator cable thingy. Went back in the car (car off by the way :D ) and pushed on the gas pedal a few times to get it oiled up. Then, I started it up again and the same thing happened. I decided to take it around the block a few times to see if it went away. I put it in reverse and the RPMs were still at about 1500 :blink: . I backed it up and put it in drive, same thing. I took my foot off the gas so it would just cruise along like most cars. I am not sure exactly how fast I was going, but it was faster than normal. I then hit the gas and got into second gear then let off the gas and it slowed down a little but I was still going 20 with no foot on the gas. I went back to my house and shut it off. I then turned it back on and it was back to normal :huh: . I then drove it around for about 20 minutes with no problem. Does anyone know what happened?

THANKS!

Aaron :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Any codes set?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Sounds like your ISC (idle speed controller) might be beginning to fail (I have a somewhat similiar problem) or your throttle body may be dirty and fouled up with carbon. Have you looked at your throttle body and butterflies lately? If they're dirty, choke cleaner and an old toothbrush work well to clean them up. Look at past threads for detailed cleaning instructions...real simple though.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, no codes were set. Where is the throttle body? I have a 4.9 PFI. I was thinking about cleaning it a while ago, but I searched and couldn't find out exactly where it is. Is there a way I can check to find out if the ISC is failing? Thanks for the help so far! :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

There is a TON of information in the archives on the ISC motor. Both in this board and the old board.

Don't spray any lube on the throttle cables - they are designed to run dry as any lube will turn to molasses in cold temperatures and you may experience a stuck throttle.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

the throttle body is underneath the intake. Remove the intake by unscrewing the screw on the very top and the whole assembly should pop off. Once you have that off you will see the throttle body so you could juss push blades down vertically. I reccomend you clean your egr tubes as well by shoving a metal coat hanger through the to free them up of any loose carbon build up and dirt. B)

Archived