CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Leather Really Dry

Cupillac

Well it just started a month ago, I've noticed my leather seats are really dry and are prone to cracking alot easier.

I switched to Mcquires leather conditioner, could this be the problem?

When I clean them they are all nice for a day or two then, BAM, they dry right up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

You will get suggestions / recommendations. Here is mine.

Cleaning.

One of the suppliers of leather to "Detroit" says this about cleaning leather http://www.eagleottawa.com/leather/care.html

Conditioning.

Looking at all the leather 'conditioning' products on the shelf today, ask a female friend / family member which of those she would use on her skin. The answer should be Mink Oil (try it on your skin overnight).

Sounds like you might be faced with completely removing a nasty coating of something before you get to the conditioning part.

Good luck with it.... ..

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have horses and I have always used on my Caddy leather what I use for the horse equipment.

I use Lexol-PH Leather Cleaner to clean and then Lexol Leather Conditioner. They are not expensive and I know they won't be exotic enough for some but they work great. When I traded in myi '93 STS with 193k miles, the leather still looked as good as new.

Once I have conditioned the leather, just a damp cloth will remove any spots and leave the leather looking fine.

They need to be cleaned with saddle soap to remove whatever is choking and drying the leather and then they need to be nourished using mink oil.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

They need to be cleaned with saddle soap to remove whatever is choking and drying the leather and then they need to be nourished using mink oil.

This thread sparked a bunch of questions from me all of a sudden! :)

1) Is this mink oil like a wax (a protectant) or like a moisturizer (a conditioner)?

2) After the leather is thoroughly cleaned with the saddle soap, and the mink oil is applied, should you ever have to do a heavy cleaning again, or just keep with periodic applications of the mink oil?

3) Does the saddle soap have a "degrading" effect on the leather? For instance, whenever I use those Armor All leather wipes on the steering wheel, the most worn part of my interior, the leather seems a little coarser each time...like I'm "sanding" some off. Is this just a sensation, or is there really a degrading effect?

Thanks. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have said it before and i will say it again , if you want your questions answered by leather professionals, go to www.leatherique.com , and they will gladly answer your questions. You will see for yourself , their products are used all over the world for restoration cars and show cars. IF THE product is good enough for a show ROLLS, THEN its good enough for my caddy.

Archived