CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS 2005 - will not start/but power to lights/accessories

Been on vacation for 10 days (yeah, that was nice, but), got in my STS today, it was parked in my garage, stepped on the brake, the "press on brake to start engine" message displayed, so I did that, foot on brake and pressed the start button, but nothing happens other than a flash of the display panel items, which went dark after that. Pushed the start button to "Accessory" and radio etc come on with no problem. Is this just a case of a weak battery from sitting with no-use/no recharge? I bought the STS in February, NEW battery installed by dealer at that time, so............what do you think? I have no gear to measure battery strength -- so, my next move is to call AAA. Luckily I have a 2nd vehicle - but it "ain't" a Cadi.

Thanks, John

The battery should be load tested to either eliminate it as a suspect or confirm it as the problem.

Battery age has nothing to do with battery performance. You can find a "new" battery at a parts house that will fail a load test.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have a 2006 DTS.

If I leave it sitting in the garage for a week or more...the battery will "JUST BARELY" start it.

It has been like that since it was new.

I do have a cell phone charger plugged in all the time.

"IF" I remember to "UNPLUG" it...it starts fine.

I think the cell phone charger keeps the system awake and doesn't let it go to sleep like it is supposed to.

Posted Image

I had that problem with my car a little over a week ago. I even tried jumping it to no avail. It turned out to simply be a loose battery cable.

big4870885.jpg

Archived