CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Best performance chip for the price

JJLee2009

I'm looking to get a performance chip for my 2001 deville. I have noticed they can really range in price like some are $50 and some are $500. Has anybody put one in their deville before or know anybody that has? Are the ones that are $50 just complete garbage or what?

All iat performance "resistors" (ebay) are garabage they work a little but mess with the engine, look into volo performance chips at www.voloperformance.com it is the real deal and mine took off 1/3 a second 0-60

There have been people here who offer to do the same thing with a Tech II obtained from a closing dealership.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

All iat performance "resistors" (ebay) are garabage they work a little but mess with the engine, look into volo performance chips at www.voloperformance.com it is the real deal and mine took off 1/3 a second 0-60

I looked at those and they seem decent and for a good price. Did you get the VP12 one? And did you notice if you are getting lower gas mileage after adding this?

Yes I got the vp12 I noticed maybe and increase of about 2mpg but, I felt the power increase immediately, I suggest puting in a cheap cold air intake also for a bigger increase in performance, which for me 1 filter wasen't enough and I put two filters with direct flow. Honestly before I put the High Flow Cat. I was around 6.2sec 0-60 but after the cat Im around 5.8 If not less

Good Luck

-Brad

Yes I got the vp12 I noticed maybe and increase of about 2mpg but, I felt the power increase immediately, I suggest puting in a cheap cold air intake also for a bigger increase in performance, which for me 1 filter wasen't enough and I put two filters with direct flow. Honestly before I put the High Flow Cat. I was around 6.2sec 0-60 but after the cat Im around 5.8 If not less

Good Luck

-Brad

It was to my understanding that the Deville comes with a stock cold air intake. And what else did you do to get it to 5.8 because its rated @ 8.0 stock.

Strong in all models: about 7 sec 0-60 mph. Transmission is smooth and responsive

(originally I was 7.2 on premium)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2002-cadillac-deville-1.htm

I have an ECU Performance chip, a real IAT chip not those cheap resistors, A 2 air filter intake on a 45° bend a magnaflow high flow cat and 5 additional engine grounds to help out on various places in the engine bay to increase the ground contact to your chassis. Many vehicles older than 5 years can start developing rust and corrosion on the wires connecting the alternator to the chassis. more contact points = more ground contact points, means smoother power delivery. Remind yourself, the whole vehicle is an electronic device,

Can I help anywhere else?

And of course I am sure we both understand the restrictions of a stock air intake box cold or not

Bruce ran many tests on various performance mods for his 1992 and 1996 STS, including K&N intake options. The bottom line was that the stock cold air intake with Delco air cleaner was best overall performance in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile. I would strongly suggest that you use a performance time such as a G-Tech Pro for comparison tests with the stock setup before you leave a K&N on the car.

Another consideration is that the stock setup runs the air over the PCM in many models; it's below the air cleaner element. If you use another intake, you need to leave all that in-place to keep the PCM cooing intact. Without the engine breathing air through there, though, the PCM may not have the cooling it is designed for. I don't know what this means in practice, but I would feel better driving across Arizona at the going traffic speed in 115 F heat if the stock intake was in place and working.

Where is the cold air coming from? The stock setup in the 1992-1999 Seville and Eldorado has an air path through the grille, behind the left headlight, and through the fender well to a plenum in the left front fender. There is no blank sheet metal in the radiator mount, and no path over or under the radiator.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I took a look at the Volo Performance web site and it looks like it may very well be legit. Anybody who has a report on actual use of a VP-12 on a 1993-1999 Northstar, preferably with performance meter readings, is welcome to chime in here.

Archived