CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas cap

Stan S

I have a problem with the gas cap coming loose om my 99 Concours. It just started this a few days ago. On a 20 mi. drive to work it will loosen by itself, sometimes coming completely out of the filler neck. It doesn't matter if I tighten it 3 clicks or 10, it still backs out the next trip. I've checked the cap, no problems I can see, looks just like new. Needless to say it turns on the check engine light and a message to check gas cap. Anyone expereinced anything like this? Thanks, Stan

Just a shot in the dark but maybe clean the threads so it grips a bit tighter. Probably a weak spring in the ratchet mechanism. May be time for a new cap though I have never heard of one going bad before.

My gas cap went bad two weeks ago and was replaced under warranty.

Now you've heard about one going bad, Larry. LOL

By the way, the new one they put on is of an entirely different type.

Thanks for the replies. This cap does not have threads. Just two lugs that fit in a slot in the filler neck. A quarter turn and its tight. Must be one of those better ideas. lol. The rubber gasket is still on it. Guess I'll have to try a new cap. Thanks again, Stan

• 3 years later...

I have a similar problem. My "check gas cap" light came on in my 2001 sts. After checking and rechecking I replaced the cap with an aftermarket. The new one seems to fit good but I can still smell gas when standing next to the car. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

I have a problem with the gas cap coming loose om my 99 Concours. It just started this a few days ago. On a 20 mi. drive to work it will loosen by itself, sometimes coming completely out of the filler neck. It doesn't matter if I tighten it 3 clicks or 10, it still backs out the next trip. I've checked the cap, no problems I can see, looks just like new. Needless to say it turns on the check engine light and a message to check gas cap. Anyone expereinced anything like this? Thanks, Stan

Stan, buy a new Stant gas cap. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived