CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C clutch chirps loud when engaging

hiljak

:o The goes away (at least is extremely quiter) when the clutch is not engaged.  It's like a deep rattling sound.  What do you think it could be then if not the bearing?  I noticed the car has a green sticker from some where someone did a leak test but I checked all the lines and compressor and find NO signs of dye anywhere.    Maybe the compressor is ready the crap the bed.

That is a good description a deep rattling noise, that is what mine sounded like for about a year before it was really obvious and began smoking. I was NOT going to take it on a long trip before I got rid of the noise. I have a new hub assembly for a 91 Seville if it fit you could have had it. See photo of the overheated hub/clutch, the clutch windings overheated and blew the fuse

post-3-1093382362.jpg

Ok, I put a guage on the low side after the engine had been off for about 40 mins or so. It read 105 lb! I left the guage on and started the car and turned on the ac, the pressure went down to about 47 lb. After the shutting the engine off, it went back to about 65 lb. Also, I hear a hissing from the somewhere around the acumulator when I shut the car and ac off. Are these pressures normal? Seems like 105 on the low side is alot.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

105 static pressure is to be expected when the system equalizes. The hissing sound at shutdown is normal as well - it's the system equalizing pressure.

You need to monitor the high pressure side at the same time as the low pressure side. That information along with the ambient temperature, relative humidity, and vent outlet temperature can be used to assess the performance of the system and to determine if refrigerant needs to be added.

Those "low side only" gages are just about worthless - the high side pressures can be skyrocketing while there is little change on the low side.

There is no easy way to tell how much oil is in the system without removing and draining the compressor and accumulator, flushing the system with solvent, drawing a vacuum and adding the proper amount of oil.

Ask an A/C shop to check your pressures and asses your system - they can add an ounce or two of PAG-150 oil if they deem necessary as well as top off your refrigerant. That shouldn't cost very much.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived