CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fiber optic brake/turn signal light dim on 1 side

epricedright

On a 1994 Deville, one side of the the fiber optic light is dimmer than the other (the brake/signal lights you see in your rear view mirror). The dealer said the fiber optic has come out a little and to unscrew the cover, clean it off and put it back in. Problem is, there's no screw on the cover, so how do I get the cover off? I pried at it slightly w/ no luck...I'm afraid to break it. Any advice on how to get that little cover off?

I don't know about your cover but on a 69' Caprice I had a couple of them that were dim too. It was dirt on the end of the FO that read the light source, not the end that showed the light action. I think the brake/signal lights had the FO in the housing that contains the socket. The head lamps had the FO in the plug. You could tape a small flashlight to the viewed part and look for the reading part (should glow) near the socket area. I cleaned the ends with window cleaner and a toothbrush (not mine, I don't like the taste of WC)...

rek

Just came back from the dealer to pick up some oil adapter seals and they said the fiber optic is loose at the tail light, where it's connected. Said to take the tail light out and it should be loose or frayed there. Never would of guessed it to be connected at the tail light...makes sense though. I'll try and see if that's the case and report back.

Archived