CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

thinking of painting my wheels

Cadillac STS

i think i could do it myself...will take a lot of time but not that much $$$

i would leave a rim of chrome at the edge of the wheel and paint the rest black.

here is an example of what my car might look like if i went ahead with this mod...

to make it look more believable darken you monitor screen lol it'll look a bit better IMO...i used paint program BTW. if anyone wants to go ahead and Photoshop it for me instead that would be awesome!

f77c1875.jpg

original

f82fd66e.jpg

I think it will look good, I have seen black wheels on green cars and it looks really mean. Personally I would get some 7 spoke wheels from a later Caddy and use those, and try to get a non chrome set, I am pretty sure you need to strip the chrome for the paint to last.

Cadillac STS,

I took in the Brickyard 400 last Sunday in Indianapols. All the Sheriff cars had the same setup you are talking about, but with steel rims. All their tires were done with tire black, and the rims were gloss black, with the edge covered in a chrome beauty ring. The looked great! GO FOR IT! :D

You may want to do some research to find out if any pretreatment may be required prior to priming the chrome. My hunch is that paint adhesion to the chrome may be poor. There might be some special pretreatment that etches the chrome, or a specific chrome primer. The other issue will be temperature. Wheels typically get extremely hot dissipating the brake disks heat transfer. You should investigate the temperature rating of the primer/paint.

I have not painted chrome before, so I am just posing some things to ponder.

cool cool. i want to do the same thing! let me know if you find anything. i'll do the same!

You will have to sand it and use metal primer and then a few coats of paint and then a coat of wheel coating. Duplicolor makes 'reasonably priced' paint that can be used to do this including wheel coating (clear coat that resists nicks and brake dust etc.) If you need any help feel free to PM / email me :)

For instance.. I just did a pic of my car with one tire black with photoshop..well actually not photoshop but GIMP..

car_rt_blacktire.jpg

and that was just playing around for 2 minutes.. Fun stuff :)

oh yea my center caps aren't on so it looks weird and i left a small bit of chrome around the edge

For instance.. I just did a pic of my car with one tire black with photoshop..well actually not photoshop but GIMP..

car_rt_blacktire.jpg

and that was just playing around for 2 minutes.. Fun stuff :)

oh yea my center caps aren't on so it looks weird and i left a small bit of chrome around the edge

whoa i think it looks great, happy to see someone else with a green STS lol

believe it or not, i have no side pictures of my car <_< all angle shots ahahahah

but i can send you a high resolution pic through e mail if you want?

not a side pic...but def showing a good amount o wheel

hahaha.. well .. mask off the area with some heavy tape and then sand the crap out of it as much as you can with 220 grit and then 400 grit then use some good metal primer (1 or maybe 2 coats) then sand that with 600 or 800 grit if you have unsmooth parts, then put 3 or 4 or 5 really light coats of black high gloss, and the buy the DUPLICOLOR WP103 (wheel paint # 103) .. it's clear and it will protect the paint from the brake dust and road crap. Then if you want it to have a mirror shine u can polish up the clear paint just like you would your car paint, but let it dry for a week or so before you do anything to it.. that's about it

honestly, the painted wheels remind me of the old Knight Rider hub caps (wheel covers) that were on David Hasselhoff's black T/A...when I was younger, I HATED those things always dreamed of that car with nice rims...

maybe it will look cooler all glossy though...but honestly I agree that you should pick up a set of the seven spokes. Painted, I think those will have a more striking appearance than your set now. I also think it will give it a sportier, meaner "Mad Max" look!

just my opinion though...

how long should i let the paint dry before mounting them back onto the car?

and about the 7 spoke, im really tight on cash, this is actually why im painting the wheels, instead of buying new ones...until i get a job and save enough money for something like this, then i can think of purchasing new wheels.

im just a poor high school student :lol:

honestly, the painted wheels remind me of the old Knight Rider hub caps (wheel covers) that were on David Hasselhoff's black T/A...when I was younger, I HATED those things always dreamed of that car with nice rims...

maybe it will look cooler all glossy though...but honestly I agree that you should pick up a set of the seven spokes. Painted, I think those will have a more striking appearance than your set now. I also think it will give it a sportier, meaner "Mad Max" look!

just my opinion though...

i actually liked that T/A...lol my name is Michael Nite anyways...Im this generations Knightrider ;)

was it smart posting my name ? eh..i know of 3 michael nites that live in the US anyway... my aunt works at a bank lol

did you get mine bigfoo? i sent links later on. i sent through caddyinfo, so i couldn't attatch them

btw, those wheels look GREAT! Love it love it!

did you get mine bigfoo? i sent links later on. i sent through caddyinfo, so i couldn't attatch them

btw, those wheels look GREAT! Love it love it!

Check your email :)

here's mine... i gave him really bad low res pics, but they are about as good as he could do (good job, by the way, bro!) I think it'd look a little better in real life. thanks bigfoo!

post-3-1092191933.jpg

and this one...

post-3-1092192013.jpg

Archived