CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"adjustments" at shut-down????????

GOOB

Sometime ago, I noticed a knocking sound when I turned my car off after hard driving or a long ride. At first I thought it was A/C related because I never heard it until I got my A/C charged and started using it. When I stop and shut the engine off there is a loud knock and just recently, I noticed that the gas pedal actually jerks to the "beat". It lasts for about 10-15 seconds after shutdown. With my limited knowledge, I have an idea of what it is but before I open mouth and insert foot, I'll ask...Any Ideas/suggestions......help?

Thanx

Sounds like the idle speed control motor attempting to set up for the next start. Search the archives (both on this board and the old board) for "Idle Speed Control" or "ISC" and read up.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sounds like the idle speed control motor

KHE,

Thanks. That's what I was leaning towards. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no procedure for me to "properly" adjust this as it is set at manufacture, RIGHT? Could a simple idle learn procedure correct this?

This should explain the adjustment. You will probably need a second set of hands to disconnect the ISC. :)

"...for forcing the isc motor plunger to full retraction by depressing the plunger, opening the throttle slightly and then disconnecting the wire connector when fully retracted. It is important to do this to be sure the ISC motor plunger will still fully retract and clear the throttle lever when the throttle lever is released. There should be about .060 clearance between the throttle lever and the isc motor lunger when the plunger is fully retracted and the throttle is at rest "

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would clean the throttle plate area first. Also known as the throttle body, they have a tendency to stick closed. The ISC may be trying to compensate for a sticky throttle.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived