CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Purchase information

ddemara

I am new to Cadillac and am writing to ask for anyone thoughts on a 1997 or 1998 DeVille. Is there anything I should look for in particular that was a problem that year? Really I am just starting so anything regarding the engine selections or transmission issues would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

First you should be aware that A 1997 or a 1998 Cadillac Deville came with a 4.6L Northstar engine. The most important maintenance item on a northstar is changing coolant on time, as disscussed several times in this board. Make sure the car's coolant is serviced properly, especially if the car has high milage on it.

A '97 or '98 Deville will have Dexcool (orange) coolant. It should have been changed once by now but if it hasn't, it's not the end of the world. Just change it as soon as possible after purchasing the car. The corrosion inhibiters in Dexcool last much longer than the old green coolant.

The only engine available is the Northstar - either the 275 HP or the 300 HP version. The 300 HP version is only available in the Concours.

The transmissions are for the most part bulletproof - some on this board have had to replace the shift solenoids but that is a relatively minor repair.

The automatic struts can be a problem with age and mileage. Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel and write down any codes that are displayed on the driver information center. Post back and someone will decipher the codes.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks gentlemen! I currently have my eye on a '97 with about 93K miles on it and one owner. It has all the service records from the dealership and they are asking $6500. DOes this sound in the ballpark? I have looked up a few cars with the Kelley Blue Book and have found them selling for quite a bit less (Ford Taurus).

Once again, thank you in advance.

Thanks gentlemen! I currently have my eye on a '97 with about 93K miles on it and one owner. It has all the service records from the dealership and they are asking $6500. DOes this sound in the ballpark? I have looked up a few cars with the Kelley Blue Book and have found them selling for quite a bit less (Ford Taurus).

Once again, thank you in advance.

Sounds good price wise. Its great that you have the service records. The Deville will eat the Ford Taurus for breakfast performance and comfort wise...

My '97 has 87K on it and has been trouble free with the exception of the half case leak that was fixed under warranty. I am now waiting for the fuel rail recall but have had no problems as of yet.

Archived