CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mark VII VS STS

I think he may mean the MK 8, VIII. VII was a piece of crap. The VIII LSC was a nice car, and would give the STS a run for it's money.

I believe you're correct on that model distinction. The Lincoln owner at work that I embarassed a few times has one of those latest model jobs. Although, I remember easily outrunning the older one too. B)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

"VII was a piece of crap" ... BullSh........t.

Mk VII LSC was and still is a very attractive car (my opinion). I am not refering at all to the mk VIII, I have no experience with that.

OK, my previous '89 Mk VII LSC was not a match for my '95 etc in terms of hp, and downright speed, etc. but the VII was quite a bit older. However, at the time it was somewhat entertaining in that the loud pedal was connected to a 5 liter HO Mustang gt motor (220 hp). There was not, prior to the northstar caddy, any cadillac since the late 50's that I would be bragging about owing in terms of its performance or comparing to any other marque. Name a 1989 Cadillac that would out run a MK VI LSC, or had any pretention of performance at all?

Remember that the MK Vii was an earlier generation product. The Northstar came out after the Mk VII was near it's end (maybe after). I think that the MK VII LSC was a very beautiful design and still is. I remember in the mid 80's that the editor of Automobile magazine at the time, David E Davis, had a MK VII LSC in his driveway and a Mercedes 500 SEC (this is from memory, so forgive me if a detail is not exactly correct). Anyway, he felt that the MK VII was a match and had a hard time deciding which one to drive! A Cadillac at the time would have been laughable.

When I was learning my '95 etc I was surprised that some basics that the older mk Vii had standard were missing. No, auto dimming of the hi beams in the etc and a couple of other things that I can't think of just now ... ok ... it did bother me that the turn signal, cruise control stalk on my '95 caddy was the same as on my 88 pontiac 6000 (4 cyl) ... or any other older gm of that ilk ( chevy celebrity!!!! aKKKK). I do miss the mk Vii. It was very handsome, my 95 etc would win the races, but the mk was more attractive and the controls felt better. It was just a bit sexier i guess and when I see one one the street, well, i just wish that my northstar was wrapped around that facade....

For what it's worth.

Your northstar will beat a Mk VII or VIII in a race, their power plants are previous generations, so no reason to crow. ....

You are comparing your mid 90 something caddy (and mine) to a mid 80's early 90's something ford/lincoln. Get a pre northstar caddy, and then compare it to the MK VII LSC. I would be driving the MK.

LOL.. I really liked the LSC.. was my favorite one. A little engine work and it would fly. We had a guy out at the track when I used to race my cars there and he was doing high 12's with an LSC :) was quite funny cuz we were doing the same with our mustangs and camaros and such. Now if i saw an 80's cadillac doing that I'd be 50 times more suprised.. :> anything with the 4.9 or the northstar doing high 13's or low 14's i'd be impressed but i know it's possible with some work , and fun too :> I know the new lincoln LS is fast.. 2000+ models. They have a 3.9 V8 that makes 280HP or thereabouts.. talk about more than 1 HP per CI :) but the best thing is that it has a 5 speed transmission. If the STS had that it would be quite a bit faster but we are still stuck with the 4 speed unless i think the 2005 has a 5 speed i'm not sure. But we can't afford a 2005 now can we :>

I made alittle mistake the Lincoln I'am refering to is not a Mark VII but a MARK VIII a 1997 model two door BLK in color,Chrome rims ,The ad states it has a 32 valve V8,Silky smooth authoritative power with an abundance of style for $ 5,990.00... I still like my STS, I was just wondering if I where to happen to be at a red light and a Mark VIII came up and wanted to run ,would I loose if we ran.

>"I still like my STS, I was just wondering if I where to happen to be at a red light and a Mark VIII came up and wanted to run ,would I loose if we ran."<

Been there, done it more than once. Out ran the Mark VIII everytime, to the point where the guy didn't want to play anymore... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Bbbbbut the guy was driving a 98? lincoln. Was his pacemaker functioning?

Sorry, I was waxing lyrical about the mk vii lsc earlier, but I think the mercury/lincoln people could not deal with anything that was really cutting edge or kick a-ss. Remember the Merkur xr4ti? It, I believe, was a really leading edge, fast, good handling in the european style, sporting machine (ford of europe), but was sold by lincoln/merc dealerships (funny thing is, I have seen 2 of them in the past week). Those L/M sales guys knew very well how to sell a mobile living room to your mother's sister's uncle, but a REAL CAR, that handled and had a manual shift and could be driven by someone who drove 'cause they liked driving? They had no clue, or maybe its just that they had not the right traffic in the showroom (if only to be pc). Anyway, I think the lincoln people had a good thing in the mk vii lsc for a while

(aside .... the bill blass edition made me gag ... funny it was so similar to the LSC but one is handsome and the other turns the stomach ... similar to the late 80 early 90 caprice ... they were so ugly (reminded me of a Hudson), but the impala ss from which it was derived (not the current one!) was really bad a-ss looking, I actually drove one and considered getting one just before finding my current 95 etc),

but the lincoln people (the ones making the decisions) did not realize that they had a hot ... rod.... lincoln .... in their showroom that could help turn the marque around. Instead it became a .... well like in a recent rant about what Datsun did to the 240z ... it just got heavier and less of a performer and became (by the time of the 280z) a bloated boulevard cruiser .... kinda like the mk viii, even with a cool sounding engine.

Seen the new Maurader? I hear that the base Accord out runs it.... could be wrong ... I'd rather be driving my fathers Oldsmobile (with a baby northstar), oh forgot ... can't anymore and the last car off the line was an ... gasp ... Alero.

FORD...'nuff said

I happily drove my Ford truck today as the STS is in the shop (just brakes).

I might've bought a 96 MKVIII but the guy sold it on me. I got an STS instead (no regrets ;)).

-Chris

it sucks that the mods are so few being these are GM cars we have ..............the cheapest most plentiful mods are Chevy mods (doesn't GM make those too ?)

Yes, but Chevy clientel and Cadillac clientel are two very different, demographically. The Lincoln Mark VIII gets off lucky because it happens to share an engine with a very popular Ford Ponycar (the Mustang Cobra). Our Northstar engines happen to be shared with NOTHING (historically). But as with the Lincoln 32-valve V8 engine, mods for Chevy's OHV LT1 engine are applicable to many different cars, like the Corvette, Camaro, Impala SS, Caprice, etc. It's just that the Northstar isn't shared with a commonly-modified car, and a precious few actually have the will and desire to modify a Cadillac Deville's engine. If GM put the Northstar into the Camaro, Corvette, FWD Impala, FWD Monte Carlo (they now put it in the FWD Bonneville), we might have more aftermarket support. But then we'd lose exclusivity. Which way do we want it?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

jadcock Posted on Aug 10 2004, 02:00 PM

But then we'd lose exclusivity. Which way do we want it?

I vote for exclusivity. Heck, I hated to see the Northstar go into the Bonneville. For those that one a car with a good case of the "gone @ss, the're better cars out there. With a Cadillac (late model anyway) you get what you get.

Good all around performance!

Jim

Archived