CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

123K & time for the shift solenoids - OH NO!!

Well, everything was going GREAT! The ol' '93 STS has been kicking serious butt for quite some time.

I recently became a master of relacing the blower motor. Works awesome.

Today, on the freeway on-ramp, the tranny went into "no-shift" mode after 2nd gear.

Limp home, reset code PO94, runs fine, but forget about getting on the freeway.

Sounds like the dreaded SHIFT SOLENOIDS!! Crap... :wacko:

Here's the question :

The research on the board suggests the "NEW" upgraded solenoid kit for $70.

Where do I buy the kit? Online? At the dealer? Who knows this??? :unsure:

With your user name being what it is I'd have to be hard pressed. I, however, do find it entertaining.

The definition of an enthusiast is "a person filled with enthusiasm" or " one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit." Then there is my personal favorite "one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest." I would call the last one fanatic, bordering on unhealthy. I think I'd rather be an enthusiast as opposed to a fanatic.

CADS RULE DUDES! Alright Alright Alright...

www.gmpartsdirect.com has the best prices. You should call your dealer parts counter and obtain the part no. as the online catalog leaves a lot to be desired...

www.gmotors.com is another source but they recently changed their pricing structure and are not always the least expensive source. gmotors.com will provide the part nos. once you complete the online request form.

Both sources are very good - I've ordered parts from both.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I replaced mine over a year ago.

I picked up the kit from a local Chevy dealer.

Part number 24211355. It contains two solenoids, a bracket, and a bolt.

It came packed in a poly bag (ACDelco)

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Thanks guys. Just what I needed. Good call. :D
With your user name being what it is I'd have to be hard pressed. I, however, do find it entertaining.

The definition of an enthusiast is "a person filled with enthusiasm" or " one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit." Then there is my personal favorite "one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest." I would call the last one fanatic, bordering on unhealthy. I think I'd rather be an enthusiast as opposed to a fanatic.

UPDATE : Shift Solenoids replaced today at a local shop. The guy instantly starts trying to tell me my tranny is probably shot and blah blah blah... I tell him , "Uh, no, its the shift solenoids." The shop owner couldn't fathom that I knew what I was talking about with the solenoids. He says, "And what brought you to this diagnosis??" I told him it was throwing codes, wouldn't kick into overdrive or 3rd, and that I've done the repair in my garage before on 2 previous Cads. (I B.S.'d)

When I pulled out the AC Delco bag straight from the dealer with the parts, and gave him the "Balls" diagram, and complete step by step, he just nodded his head. No rip off mechanic guys on my watch!

Upshot? 2 hours labor. Done. Glad that's fixed. These shift solenoids will strand your butt on the side of the road in an instant. When they go, they REALLY go! BAM, no tranny at all.

Nice work, some transmission shop owners (at least in my experience) are EVIL!!! :lol: . Soon as you walk in there they want to sell you a transmission no matter what you need.

Great to hear you could tell him what you really wanted and needed. Pretty rare to find an honest transmission shop anywhere. Lucky there's a great one in my town. Only sells you what you need, and not like the other place in town. Just if anyone is wondering:

Bob's Transmission Center

Regina, Saskatchewan

(306) 522-0801

Great place of business

Mr. Transmission

Anywhere in Canada

EVIL!!!

Spence

Good to hear it worked out well. You did your homework and it paid off.

Hard for a shop to rip you off when you're so well prepared.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

These shift solenoids will strand your butt on the side of the road in an instant. When they go, they REALLY go! BAM, no tranny at all.

Really? My '95 etc solenoid(s) failed and it went into limp home mode, ie just 2nd gear. I think it would have taken me places in 2nd as long as I liked.

Archived