CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Proper Storage

Cupillac

Well I just thought I would let some of you guys know (if you already dont) a key thing to do when storing your Caddy.

A real good Cadillac mechanic told me to turn on my lights then unplug the battery when storing your car for awhile. Then when the time comes simply hook the battery back up, turn your lights off, then start your car. If this is not done you take the chance of frying your car's computer.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

It sounds like what your mechanic is suggesting is to put a resistive load (headlight filaments) 'in front' of the car's computer. What this would accomplish (in theory) is to diminish an inductive transient signal/surge (spike) at first turn onafter storage. The source of this possible 'spike'...who knows? I can't imagine how this preventative measure could harm anything, but it's the first time I've ever heard of it being used in a practical application.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

My guess is that when that battery is disconnected the voltage

at the positive terminal is indeterminant or floating and can

potentially be at dangerous level due extraneous electro-magnetic

fields (EMF). With the lights on the positive electrode is effectively

grounded. What you don't want on when connecting/disocnnecting

the battery is a fan or any other inductor. One of my quirks is that

I place a diode accross my AC compressor electrical connections.

One of my quirks is that I place a diode accross my AC compressor electrical connections.

There was already a diode in that circuit from the factory, located in the wiring harness, 3 inches from the compressor connector. Older models had one right at the connector.

I showed the electrical engineer that did the electrical architecture and electrical integration for the 2000 Deville this and he got a real charge out of it....get it....charge....duh......

Oh man...Have mercy, Agent bbobynski... <_<

user posted image

Believe it or not the Cadillac engineers that design the electrical architecture of the vehicle and the electronic components realize that the battery will be hooked and unhooked many many times in the cars life and that vehicles get jump started and such....they even realize that the battery cables can sometimes get crossed or a jump starter may cross the polarity and the components are protected accordingly.

I think the best way to appreciate the work that goes into those systems is to design/build a sensitive circuit, then make it live for 10+ years in an automotive environment.

My favorite picture is one of a 77 SquareVille that was parked in the EMI chamber with a 12 foot arc of electricity coming down thru the air and striking the roof. The tests have actually gotten much more severe since then.

Oh yeah, buddy! That's my kind of stuff!! :o

user posted image

Yeah Bob D, looks like that spark hit you on top of the head! :D

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived