CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cd insertion

rmac-etc

'95 etc

My lovely sounding bose gold system will not accept the insertion of a cd. Doesn't like them anymore, just wants to play it's radio.

Well, the radio stations around here are lousy ... just talking about classical and jazz .. I'm sure that if I were listening to the mainstream hiphopoprapcrap, my highest desires would be met ... but I do not understand the complexities of these art forms. My classical training overlooked the subtleties of thump thump thump, so I am bereft.

Ok, sorry, uhhhh, is there a cleaner product or technique that will convince my in-dash cd player to accept and thus play a cd, even if it is Mozart??

My 95 STS does that when the interior temp gets really hot, like after sitting in the sun for a while. The device that "swallows" the CD seems to be heat sensitive, for it only does it when the radio is allowed to get hot. Sometimes on long trips, when the dash lights are on for a long time, heating things up, it happens too.

Some things that I do to get arount the problem are, gently helping the CD into the slot as it is going in with a key or something (once the CD gets past a certain point, the player will accept it, sort of like the "primary" swallowing device is taking a break, the "secondy" one will take over at a certain point), or you could use a piece of paper to channel air from the A/C vents into the CD slot for a minute- this will cool mine down enough to accept CDs.

In terms of getting it out, if it gets stuck in the slot, I use two dining knives (and a piece of tissue to proctect the CD) to reach in and clamp it, and then pull it out.

Hope this helps!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I s there anybody who has Bose for more than 9 years and does not have problems? IMO Bose is a piece of crap, ridiculously overpriced and overpraised.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

'95 etc

My  lovely sounding bose gold system will not accept the insertion of a cd. Doesn't like them anymore, just wants to play it's radio.

Well, the radio stations around here are lousy  ... just talking about classical and jazz .. I'm sure that if I were listening to the mainstream hiphopoprapcrap, my highest desires would be met ... but I do not understand the complexities of these art forms. My classical training overlooked the subtleties of thump thump thump, so I am bereft.

Ok, sorry, uhhhh, is there a cleaner product or technique that will convince my in-dash cd player to accept and thus play a cd, even if it is Mozart??

You can have it repaired very easily if you want to keep your stock look. I have fixed a Corvette CD, a 91 Seville CD, and my wife's 94 Explorer CD. BOSE radios do not suck, car CD players deal with all sorts of potentially damaging conditions, vibration, HEAT, COLD, plus yours is approaching 10 years old. These units have rubber belts that dry out, springs that get weak, and lubrication that dries up and gets sticky..... My wife's Explorer did the same thing your's does, and it was reconditioned and perfect, for $180. That EXPLORER CD was 6 years old when it acted up!! Just have it reconditioned it's old, I have used this place with GREAT success it was given to me by a local CHEVY dealer who sends their units to them to be repaired. You will need to remove it and pack it up carefully, thats all...

http://www.modelelectronics.com call their 800# for a quote, Mike

I just have to add one more thing, the implication that BOSE radios suck by some is UNFAIR at best. Your HOME CD sits on a shelf, in perfect humidity, with no vibration, at ROOM temperature and how many of you have had HOME CD players that have sticking drawers, long initialization times, and that skip, ?? Now, put that CD in your CAR, and subject it to VIBRATION, Dampness, extreme HEAT and COLD, condensation, smoke if the owner is a smoker, temperature extremes meaning its cold and you turn on the heat, or its hot and you turn on the AC. As with your home unit, a car unit needs to be maintained, that it still works nine years later is a testament to the engineering. I don't know of anything that works forever. My Nakamichi Dragon has been refurbished twice and it gets MUCH less usage than my car CD.

Hey Scottie, I agree. The 'system' sounds great. I used to put in the most bad-as-sed* classical orchestral stuff or .... pipe organ .... and even at full lock (on the volume) it sounded great. No distortion, just massive sound (did I mention the bagpipes!). Maybe the thump thump thump at 3 blocks distant is not so good, haven't tried that.

So, I guess that i will need to do the overhaul thing.

* (need the hyphen or it will change to ... i don't know, hiney or something. This is a family oriented cadillac forum :-) )

A '95 factory BOSE system? Maybe the technology has improved in 9 years.

Maybe it's time to replace the AM/FM CD player with a newer model. I don't miss playing cassettes any more!

I had a factory 1991 Cadillac Seville Bose CD system...

A '95 factory BOSE system? Maybe the technology has improved in 9 years.

Maybe it's time to replace the AM/FM CD player with a newer model. I don't miss playing cassettes any more!

Yes, a '95 Bose in dash system ... cassette? I have never used it and in fact I just double checked to see if my car had one. Yep, it does, so what.... it's not a 8 track, lol (for you youngin's who do not know what an 8 track is ... uhhhh there was probably one in one of those movies like 'Smokie in the Bandit' or 'Cannonball') ... whatever.

The point it that the Bose in dash audio is very good in my '95 etc, unless you want to rattle the neighbors windows with mindless thump, thump, thump's. If so, then I am sure that a visit to circuit city will provide all sorts of high wattage thumping alternatives.

Great music can be cerebral, mediocre music in the background, but if its visceral, then put it where you can feel it the most!

I s there anybody who has Bose for more than 9 years and does not have problems? IMO Bose is a piece of crap, ridiculously overpriced and overpraised.

I think Scotty made a correct assessment, basicly saying that car audio units take much more abuse then household units and 7-9 years on a car unit is pretty fair considering that most warranties have already expired. They're not a forever unit. Lots of small moving parts involved. I and people I know have had Jenson, craig, sony, alpine, pioneer units crap out under 3 years. Personally my 10 yr old Bose still sounds terrific and yes perhaps the headunit has a dated look, however, that in itself discourages thievery. A welcomed trade off.

rmac-etc, 2 years ago my cd player crapped out just like yours. I took it over to United Radio and they swapped headunits with me with a redone CD unit. Cost: $200..... Time: 10 minutes in and out..... no headache/ piece of mind: priceless.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived