CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front End Noise

kcd1184

I've got a noise that is not a clunck and not a rattle in the left front end (I think).

I thought it might be a loose bumper or the air intake box banging around but it seems like you can feel it through the steering wheel. It is a solid contact. The thing about is that you can drive down the same road over the same bumps and it feels right(no noise) sometimes.

I thought they checked out the front end when they did my alignment with my new tires. The banging (not really the right word) was there before the new tires.

I had this exact same condition on my 88 Seville, and that had a new rack and struts on it. It just souds and feels like something is loose or broken up front sometimes and I don't like it. Any ideas?

Kent

94 Eldo

Probably a worn bushing..... hopefully :) Even if it's a ball joint or something like that and it's not toast it's not all that hard to fix up.. you'd have to jack the car up and give it the routine of pushing and pulling tires, kicking it, etc u know :>

• 1 month later...

Do you have big rims on the car? They aggravate this this syndrome, but pop ye ole hood and puul of the plastic caps above your struts. The bolt that holds the strut to the mount should be smack in the middle of the rubber. If not, it's probably old, cracked up, and in need of replacement. New upper strut mounts will make your car feel like it drives good again tho. Betcha thats what yer lookn at.

Do you have big rims on the car? They aggravate this this syndrome, but pop ye ole hood and puul of the plastic caps above your struts. The bolt that holds the strut to the mount should be smack in the middle of the rubber. If not, it's probably old, cracked up, and in need of replacement. New upper strut mounts will make your car feel like it drives good again tho. Betcha thats what yer lookn at.

Brian I had to laugh. You posted the exact same "fix" on another post. I'm guessing that you recently replaced your upper strut mounts. I did mine awhile back but discovered I didn't fix the real problem..... which was a sticky ride sensor...... cost:$0. Just pulled it off, cleaned, lubed, and put it back. But the cost of the new strut mounts......lets just say they weren't cheap. I chaulked it up as "preventative maintenance" that went overboard.

kcd, bigfoo has the right idea. But he might suggest using some Seafoam on it which I'm convinced he owns stock in. :lol: Have a friend help you out. Two sets of eyes and ears work better than one. Check the steering etc. I would also check the upper motor mounts if they haven't been changed. They look like "dog bones" one is smaller then the other. They're a commonly replaced part and they must be because you can even get them at Napa. If the dogbone bushings are worn the engine will rock or tilt going over bumps and dips. And like brian said don't forget to check the struts. Good luck and report back so we all know what it was.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I have factory rims with new Cooper tires. There is no play (top to bottom) on the passenger side and maybe a 1/16th of an inch movement on driver's side.

The strut mounts look fairly centered. The dog bones are new and I have sprayed

all accessable rubber bushings (from above and below) with CRC silicone lubricant.

The car doesn't float or wallow in major situations and it seems to drive and handle well. It's just that darn noise! I'll have to get some help and check the

front end. I did pick up a set of OEM front struts (new) for under $600 (total) so I have them if needed. I didn't want to pass that buy up. If I don't use them, somebody will probably need them.

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the problem has been solved. On a respected person's suggestion, I replaced both front stabilizer bar(shaft) insulators. They were really wore out.

I didn't follow the manual's proceedure exactly, but I didn't locate it until I was done anyhow.

Really made a difference. The dreaded noise is gone. It took about three hours using a floor jack. I could do it in an hour if I had to do it again. Total cost was $15.62.

Kent

Archived