CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

To race, or be a spectator?

Heading to the local dragstrip tonight with a buddy and his 18 yr. old son. They want to see what their 68 Camaro RS will do in the quarter. I told them I would gladly go along to watch! :D

The more I anticipate it today, I'm thinkin'... I should have a run or two at it with "The Goose"! It would be a blast to run against him in particular, and I bet I could take him at the finish. My gut feeling tells me with his transplanted mid 70's 350 V-8 (low-output) he may beat me off the line, but I would have him at the trap. ;)

I know he replaced the tired 2bbl carb. with a 4bbl. Holley, but it isn't working just right, and the only other mods he has is headers with full dual exhaust. My Eldorado is stock 270hp N* except for the Dynomax mufflers, but she is running fantastic. One thing I would have to do is drain the 1/2 tank of mid-grade fuel I have in her to get a small amount of premium in there. Is there an easy way to drain the tank?

Another question having never raced at a strip... Do they actually sell race gas there, and what would the gains be for me to put some in? I know when I was able to get that at a small station in my area several years back, my 70 Firebird would really come alive! B)

I believe I also have an un-opened can of 104+ octane boost from a couple years back, does that stuff go bad on the shelf over that time? Would this be a poor decision to put some of this in the tank? :unsure:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

That AV gas really wakes up those 1960's and 1970 era high compression engines. The pump stuff today (premium) doesn't work very well in my 1970 Trans Am. AV gas and racing fuel ... that's another matter. Illegal to run on the streets though. I couldn't tell you about 104+. It took to many cans to have an effect in my car so I quit using it. I don't know what (AV/RACE feul) it would do in the NS, with all the gadgets that make them so efficient. As long as it isn't leaded, it shouldn't hurt.

As far as taking him, there are some factors to be considered. If the Camaro is a manual, preferably a 4 speed, the driver will have to get a good launch and then hit the best shift point. Also, the rear gearing can really pep up or bog down an underpower engine. Back in those days you never knew what you would get as there were as many differential ratios available as there were colors. If the transmission is an automatic then he still needs to shift at the correct point. Your Caddy; just step on the gas pedal and let the NS system do the rest.

No, his Camaro has a turbo350 automatic. I'm not sure what gears are in it, only drove it once but it seemed like they were more hyw gears. No steeper than 3:55 I'm sure.

Well, I believe all race gas or AV fuel is leaded isn't it? I think I will probably just get a 1/4 tank or so of premium unleaded and call it good. Don't want to get too carried away I guess! :rolleyes:

Yes, when I get my 70 Formula back on the road I'll have that octane issue back in full force. Have the 68 RAIII heads on this motor, with 10.75/1 compression... I know it's not gonna like pump gas at all. That is the car I can't wait to try at the strip! B)

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

The easiest way to drain the tank , BTW, is to get a fitting from a fuel pressure gauge that will fit to the schraeder valve on the fuel rail. Attach the fitting to a piece of hose and route it to a gas can. Put the fitting on the fuel rail schraeder valve fitting and start the engine and let it idle. The system will empty thru the hose to the can using the fuel pump pressure. Hint: A fitting from an old R12 refrigerant charging hose will fit the schraeder valve on the fuel rail......then you can make a fuel pressure gauge from it. Lots of autopart stores still have the old R12 charging kits available for about $10 so that is a good source of the fitting.

Thanks Guru! That is a great idea, I would have never thought of that! Actually do have one of those refill kits in my garage, so i'm half-way set there!

Yeah, I know, I know... Quit procrastinating, just go out and do it! I always wanted to, and it will be a blast. I gotcha on the tire press. and was thinking of ditching the spare tire, tool-kit etc., anything with excess weight. That staging, countdown suggestion is a good one though, that is where I will be needing to focus.

Just curious, is there a significant gain in pulling out the air filter and just running with an empty air box? Is this a bad idea because of crap getting in the intake? How about if I quickly fabricate something like a screen to cover the snorkel going to the intake? :unsure:

What about disabling the alternator for the run? That always give you a few extra HP, also make sure all the accessories like AC/blower,radio, etc are off.

I race anyone and everyone that wants to :) No matter if I win or lose hehe.. It's just fun :) Get a 50 shot of NOS and go have some fun at the track :>

Results.....

The Eldo wins! I took him in 2 different runs, my best ET was 14.78 at 93.6MPH and his Camaro was 15.74 at 84.8mph! B) What a blast, I can't believe I waited till I was 43 yrs. old to try this!! I'm quite sure he could have done better, he really was struggling trying to get a good launch and shifting his automatic manually without a tach isn't a good idea...

With my best time coming on a run I had my worst reaction time (.899), I am sure I will be back to test that 14 sec. barrier! In fact by that run, I had put my spare, jack, and a bunch of stuff back in the car as the pits were getting a little crowded and I didn't want that walking away... Never did get all the mid-grade gas drained, but I was down to about 1/8 tank when i put 6 gals. of premium unleaded in. Glad I did check that filter Guru, it had a lot of crap in it! I didn't have time to get a new one, so I vacuumed it clean.

I was the only Caddy there, and I got quite a few looks and comments, mostly surprised how well I had done. Several people would not believe it was stock, or was a 12 year old car with 178k on the ticker! :P Interesting stat: 7.2mpg average over my duration at the track, and 23.2mpg on my way home!

I now have a huge motivation factor to get my 70 Firebird back on the road! I can't wait to do that again! :D

What about disabling the alternator for the run? That always give you a few extra HP, also make sure all the accessories like AC/blower,radio, etc are off.

Yup, I did have all the acc. turned off for the run... Not sure how you would totally disable the alt. though...

On a similar note, I had to laugh when this one Ricer (i think it was a Honda Civic) pulls up to the line with his tunes jst crankin'! I thought his subs where going to set off the lights on the tree! Obviously he was there more for show than go... :lol:

What is up with these nuts with the crotch rocket bikes? There were two of them taking runs, creeping away at the line and then pulling the wheel up and running the entire strip on one wheel! The one guy was doing over 110mph as he crossed the trap! :blink:

What about disabling the alternator for the run?  That always give you a few extra HP, also make sure all the accessories like AC/blower,radio, etc are off.

Yup, I did have all the acc. turned off for the run... Not sure how you would totally disable the alt. though...

On a similar note, I had to laugh when this one Ricer (i think it was a Honda Civic) pulls up to the line with his tunes jst crankin'! I thought his subs where going to set off the lights on the tree! Obviously he was there more for show than go... :lol:

What is up with these nuts with the crotch rocket bikes? There were two of them taking runs, creeping away at the line and then pulling the wheel up and running the entire strip on one wheel! The one guy was doing over 110mph as he crossed the trap! :blink:

I saw a guy do that rear wheel stand the other night at about 80, it freaks me out, I dont know how they done wipe out! :rolleyes: You could not pay me to try that! :lol:

What about disabling the alternator for the run?  That always give you a few extra HP, also make sure all the accessories like AC/blower,radio, etc are off.

Nice :) Those bike guys are crazy.. I used to have a bike and as much as I loved it I wasn't about to attempt to kill myself on it. I did a few wheelies but doing them at 80mph is just asking for it. I was going 120mph and my back tire blew out on my bike and luckily I controlled the stop but imagine if that happened when you were doing a wheelie.. at least in a car you have 4 wheels and a decent amount of stuff protecting you. If i was to run bikes down the track they would definitely have wheelie bars or I'd make sure it didn't pop up :>

You got a really goot ET there, I'm suprised :) since you have a local track you can try things like a K&N filter, and using 104 octane boosters and things like that to actually see if they make any difference. It's really the only way to tell :> I bet with some open mufflers on there you would drop a tenth of a second or two

Bigfoo,

Yup, I am actually considering the K&N filter thing seeing as my filter is toast anyway... I do wish I would have put some exhaust cut-outs on there now, just ahead of the dynomax mufflers. That would have been cool to run her opened up, and see if there was a significant difference. Definitely going to do that with my exhaust on the Bird! B)

Hehe.. I'm working on my STS..

So far I have K&N cone filter and COrsa exhaust with high flow cat and vitek plug wires. I'm replacing suspension bushings with poly, going to get a front and rear strut brace, new engine/tranny mounts, ported TB and spacer, slotted/drilled coated rotors, new true limited slip, higher stall torque converter, and then maybe after i've saved up enough $ ill get the heads ported and by that time I should be able to reprogram the computer too :>

My goal is to put this 4100lb car into the high 13's ETs :) (naturally asperated of course). If anyone makes a supercharger that will be next or a real small NOS like 50 shot or something.. possibly get low 13's with that , good enough for me for this beast

Hehe.. I'm working on my STS..

So far I have K&N cone filter and COrsa exhaust with high flow cat and vitek plug wires.  I'm replacing suspension bushings with poly, going to get a front and rear strut brace, new engine/tranny mounts,  ported TB and spacer, slotted/drilled coated rotors, new true limited slip, higher stall torque converter,  and then maybe after i've saved up enough $ ill get the heads ported and by that time I should be able to reprogram the computer too :>   

My goal is to put this 4100lb car into the high 13's ETs :)  (naturally asperated of course).  If anyone makes a supercharger that will be next or a real small NOS like 50 shot or something.. possibly get low 13's with that , good enough for me for this beast

Don't forget to time-sert then you have the heads ported.... :lol: Wow I can't wait to see the result of all the work you are doing! Mike

Oh yes definitely time sert and while I"m at it i'd probaly take the whole engine out of the car and check or replace the rings and other crap to fix my super high oil consumption :/ The problem is, I don't have $2000 to have the heads ported right now and I probably won't for some time.. I do have $200 every few months i can get the ported TB, etc.. So i'll slowly be adding things.. I'll take lots of pictures, especially when I take the engine apart.. i'll take pics of all the internal components and the original heads and then ported ones, etc.. don't worry :) I love taking pics. It might not happen until next year though. I'm also going to add a MSD DIS box inline with the stock ignition. The limited slip/torque conv. is expensive too but I think that will greatly help traction and takeoff. That alone will probably knock half a second off a quarter mile time just due to the traction off the line. Would be nice if this thing weighed 3100 lbs :) it would FLY :>

That alone will probably knock half a second off a quarter mile time just due to the traction off the line.  Would be nice if this thing weighed 3100 lbs :) it would FLY :>

Yup, I was racing along side a guy one of those runs who had a hand-built tube chassis racer. He said it was just under 2,000 lbs. Had a small block chevy in it I think, ran 11.4 at 109mph! He did say it was a little scary though in that he had real violent shaking when he shut it down at the end of the track!

Yup, anything you could do to get that mass moving quicher in the beginning is where the big gain could be made. My 60' times were from 2.25 to 2.31, and the ultra-light was more like 1.52! Of course he had about 425 hp. hooked up to huge drag slicks! ;)

He should have ran faster than that with a 2100 lb vehicle with 435 hp unless it was a rather small engine with not much power range. But I guess he couldn't get real good traction on the line.. Did he bring the front end off the ground? :)

He should have ran faster than that with a 2100 lb vehicle with 435 hp unless it was a rather small engine with not much power range.  But I guess he couldn't get real good traction on the line.. Did he bring the front end off the ground? :)

I didn't notice if he brought the tires up, I was ahead of him at that point! I did have a better reaction time than him, although he obviously quickly passed me. I was really psyched when I left him at the line though! :D

He did say he wasn't the regular driver, he was a mechanic doing some testing on an alternate engine. It was his first time in the car. The regular female driver, (all 110 lbs of her) has some phenominal start times he said. She had a perfect light (.000) the week before! :o

Heart Like A Wheel .... Shirley Muldowney

them girls can do it too ... its a real good movie if you can get your hands on it. the opening scene was Shirley as a child being driven rather fast on a 1940's era 2 lane with a lot of rises, and the car (which might have been a caddy, anyone know?), was going up and down and, well imagine a 40's era suspension on a big american sedan .... she loved it.

It was some kind of special Harley night at the strip on Wed. also. Midwest Harley Shoot-out I think they called it? Anyway, I was extremely impressed by this one chick who was running this Harley drag bike. Don't recall her exact times, in the 10's I think... but this thing was loud and fast!! :o She was unbelievably quick off the line and and super fast and consistant on the shifts. There is something about a woman drag-racer...! :wub:

Archived