CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Temp.

ByStorm

Men and Women, I just came back from the shop (yesterday) and had my oil changed, air filter changed and tires rotated (per one of my earlier post) anyway...

I came from the mechanics shop which is about 5 or 6 minutes away from my home had lunch (at home for about 45 minutes or so) went to work which is about 3 or 4 minutes from home. Arrived at work at 6pm. At 9pm checked to ensure oil was in the car.

Now to the point.... the engine cover was still pretty hot. I did have the a/c on for a short period and it was about 87 out but, I park in a parking garage. I checked to see if there was coolant in the resivoir and I could see some. Is this normal? do these northstars run this hot?

Thanks again ByStorm B)

I wouldn't worry about it. If anything was wrong, you would have noticed the temp. gage into the red zone and/or the message on the DIC.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks, I just came from my mechanics a few minutes ago (my '88 Sedan Deville is in for some work) and they said the same thing.

My temp. gauge is consistantly in the center and nothing has popped up on the DIC.

Peace ByStorm B)

If you are talking about how long the cover was hot, I think that is normal. Consider 87 degrees, hood closed, no air circulation, it will retain heat for quite a while.

If you are talking about actual running temps, I just happened to monitor mine all the way to work today and here is what I observed (kinda surprised me). Outside tempurature 92-94. Speed 70 mph. A/C on. Engine temp 197-203. My normal running temp is about 213. (all temps fahrenheit)

I've been watching my temp also as of late. 94 Eldo has been running wide variety of temps from 203 -227. Used to be a constant 203-207 moving down the road but seems to keep steady at 216-223 doing 70 with the air.

Just wondering if changing my coolant would help ( it's about 2yrs old now - the green stuff)

In any event, I am always looking at the temp on my Northstar..It's the one thing that I always want to know about.

I've been watching my temp also as of late. 94 Eldo has been running wide variety of temps from 203 -227. Used to be a constant 203-207 moving down the road but seems to keep steady at 216-223 doing 70 with the air.

Just wondering if changing my coolant would help ( it's about 2yrs old now - the green stuff)

In any event, I am always looking at the temp on my Northstar..It's the one thing that I always want to know about.

You don't mention the outside temperature. If you were in traffic I would say that is a normal range but moving down the road at speed that does seem high but not unusual in very hot weather. If you really think it has run cooler in the past given the same climate, I would first look at the waterpump drive belt for proper operation in that it is not slipping from wear or a weak tensioner. I think that could be the problem, but low coolant, inoperative or malfuctioning cooling fans (but unlikely as ram air would drop the temp), or a worn thermostat (binding of the pindle against the frame due to cocking of the spring) could be responsible also. You coolant is due for a change but I don't think it would contribute heavily to your symptoms. See if the water pump tensioner is binding, I freed mine up with a WD-40 like super lube, it was also squeaking on start up, I need to replace it. Report back your findings, Mike

My 98 STS temp guage stays in the middle unless i,m climing up a moutain then it raises alittle but goes right back to the middle. As for engine being hot yes they get hot under the hood thats why they moved the battery under the back seat in later models and thats why the group 79 battery is so hard to find :angry:

Archived