CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Switched to Full-Synthetic

Cupillac

Well I went and had my oil changed this weekend, and decided to go with Quaker State Full-Synthetic oil.

Who else uses this?

Any pros and cons?

Thanks

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Save your money. I've tried everything from regular, semi and synthetic. I still burned thru my normal qt of oil in between changes and the car performed the same no matter what I used. I just use semi synthetic for piece of mind. Doesn't really matter what oil you use, just change it on time.

That synthetic subject has been one of the most debated topics on this forum, for the few years I've been here...Bottom line is, it's a waste of good money, and that come from a bonfide GM powertrain engineer, with 30+ years in the field.

Stick with any good convential oil, and change it as the on board computer prompts you. If that's good enough for the guys that knocked themsevles out designing that world class motor, it's good enough for me... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I used Mobile 1 Synthetic for years and thought those

shiny metalic particles suspended in the oil was normal.

Then I tried Quaker State conventional oil and had much

fewer metalic particles on the following oil change. With

Valvoline Max Life, to my amazement, the Northstar

goes considerably longer between oil refills and the

leaks have gone to a trickle - No Bull.

I totally agree with Bob D. Our expert here (Bboynski) didn't recommend using synthetic oil in Northstar because it actually increases your oil consumption.Three years ago I read in Motortrend magezine that the synthetic oil technology came from military in to civilian use. The only major difference between oridinary and synthetic oil is that the latter offers better protection in super hot environment, but you car never reaches those kinds of tempretures, so it's basically a waste of money. Remember that fully synthetic oil is more than 2.5 times more expensive than conventional oil. I've also read in a local newspaper that using synthetic oil reduces fuel consumption by 5%, but I don't think that is true; I think the author was not knowledgeable enough and he was just quoting on some misleading advertisements.

I ran with synthetic after hearig that is was better for engine seals than regular oil and that it offered better protection in the dead cold of winter here in Canada.

After not being able to substantiate these claims I returned to regular bulk oil from a reputable garage for changes along with the filter every 5000km.

My late father used to run GM engines for hundreds of thousands of miles with little if any major mechanical work and he always said this was possible only through frequent changes of oil and oil filters. I always believed this to be the true and have just sold a 1991 Olds 98 Touring Sedan that still runs like new despite its'near 400,000 kilometers!

I agree! The Northstar engine was designed, tested, and validated with conventional oil. You don't need to waste your money on synthetics. The Northstar may last you longer than 300,000 miles with conventional (dino) motor oil. Take the money you save on oil changes and spend it on the cooling system. I consider cooling a very critical factor in keeping a Northstar engine running for a long time. In fact, I would even consider it the "Achilles Heel" of this engine design. If not properly maintained, your engine will be ruined. (that's period).

Having said all that, I run synthetic oil in my car. I do it for a reason. I don't do it for reducing oil consumption, (it won't) I don't do it for increased fuel mileage, (it MIGHT) I don't do it for longer seal life, (jury still out) and I certainly don't do it for longer engine life. After all who can drive the same car for 300,000 miles?

I do it 'cause I want to. And I do it 'cause it's my hobby. There is no justification for spending money on your hobby. If there were, it would no longer be a hobby.

And yes, I have strange hobbies.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Only reason I use synthetic is because it gives me more horsepower on the dyno :) Other than that......... don't care :> Amsoil is the best I believe. (if you want synthetic)

Oh, and another thing, most oils labeled "synthetic" are not synthetic at all thanks to Castrol. I only know of two or three brands that are a true synthetic. I consider synthetic to be a group IV oil, such as Mobil1. Most oils labled synthetic are group II, group II+, or group III. I'm not sure about Amsoil, but I think it's group III. Redline, maybe a group IV or at least has some blended in. Chevron Supreme is a group II+, but at least they don't try to get $4.50 a quart for it like Castrol.

Try this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilbasics/ppframe.htm

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived