CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

sts-v

joeb

have not figured out GM's marketing yet. they started making the cts-v since it was a clone of the gto. the sts-v and xlr-v was a nice upgrade of a northstar platform but never really got a lot of attention. now the cts-v is only available with the blown motor. my neighbor has a sts-v which i really like but i wonder why GM cannot drop in a LS motor in the STS body? easy enough to do. the cts-v is whiz bang, keep up with the bmw and mercedes crowd but lets have a muscle caddy. the sts with ls power. its one of the few RWD bodies still out there.

The 'book' answer is that the LSx engine is less refined than Cadillac drivers want. A lot of Cadillac owners are happy with the 3.6L Direct Injected engine's power at 304 hp and just don't need a 426 hp LS3 if it means lower MPG.

I just spent the weekend driving a 2010 CTS-V, and I found it to be a terrific package. It does not have a perfectly smooth idle, but nothing objectionable, just not perfect. The overall smoothness and noise, vibration, and harshness of the powertrain is in my opinion exceptional however. I would drive one of these as a daily driver in a heartbeat if I wanted to put that much money into a Cadillac.

Overall I absolutely agree with you. I would prefer to see the CTS offered with the 3.6L as the base engine, the LS3 as the premium engine, and the LSA continue as the V-Series engine. Likewise the STS would have the LLT DI 3.6L as the base engine and the LS3 instead of the Northstar as the premium engine. With the STS on its way out we are unlikely to see any more development in that body style however.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

the 2011 mustang with the 300hp V6 is about the same setup as the CTS. the new V8 with 400+hp sounds pretty fun. i think the cheapest new camaro i have seen is 24k. lets see what the stangs go for 1 yr from now.

The Mustang is nice enough for what it is, but it is not nearly as refined nor does it have the standard features of the CTS. I agree in performance for the dollar that the Camaro V8 is a persuasive package, and is well priced in the low thirties; I think the V6 Camaro starts at $22K but with demand and accessories it would be hard to find one (or want one) at the entry price.

The Pony car war is definitely on though, between the Camaro and the Mustang. They are neck and neck again for 2011, both in the V6 models and the V8 models, so I think a lot of decisions will be based on looks.

The CTS-V has more power and is quicker/faster than either model, but it costs a lot more as well. In this case however you get what you pay for.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived