CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ashtray lid won't stay closed

tomsts

My 97 eldo does the same thing, only happened affter i took it out to try and hook up a line level out to the back of the Head Unit ever since it wont stay shut. and i think i have heard that a new assy is around 100+.

When I bought my '96 Seville (used), it had the same problem. The dealer told me that they just reconnected the spring. It has been fine for 5 years.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Reach in bottom of holder and take bottom cushion out it should just lift right out, you should see 2 phillips head screws, remove these screws and the whole assembly should lift out. Once you have it out check the springs on each ear of the lid. Also close lid and check the frount closure, sometimes coke gets spilled in their and gums up the works, I take mine out about every 6 months and drop in kitchen sink with liquid dish soap and warm water and let it soak and then lightly wash and then air dry . make sure springs are in right place and then reverse procedure to put back in. ITS worth a try and its free.

While at the dealer today, I discovered that because of the wood trim on the ashtray lid and the shifter console are matched, the whole unit needs to be replaced when broken. $700!!! I'll let them :rolleyes: steal a lot of quarters out of the ashtray at the carwash to make up for this ridiculous cost.

Tom

Mine kind of goes in to far sometimes, guess the last guy pushed on it to hard. Broke the little mating peices, super glue did the trick for me.

$700 ??!? .. Ever hear that song by Nirvana? "Rape me"

Take a look at how it works.. bet you can rig something up

My dealer wanted about 200 to fix the ash tray. He already had the center console out for another repair, so I thought it was going to be MUCH cheaper. I now say a little prayer. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

I have to replace the rear A/C blower motor soon, so I will take a look at it then.

Archived