CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Fiasco

Adrian

It possibly could have been from the right side seal where the driveshaft comes out of the transmission. That's the only seal there that I can think of.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Not to scare you but this kind of thing happened to my wife on 400 mile trip except she somehow kept driving until she got home.I was away on business and returned only the following day to find this out, anyway to make a long story short the trans was toast 1600 big ones to rebuild.It still hurts.

Why is this an unusual failure?

I think he just means that failure isn't common. Pretty unusual for something like to happen. Not caused by any mal-action on you...just an uncommon problem.

With all that you've invested in that car, you won't consider a rebuilt transmission to keep it on the road? With all that synthetic oil you have invested in that engine, it's gotta be purring like a kitten! ;) (that's half a joke and half not -- the way you've maintained it, the engine should run forever)

You might want to reconsider repairing the car. You won't get much money for it selling it as is with a leaking trans.. After the seal is replaced, it should be good for many many more miles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Good luck...I hope you get what you want for it! Did you say you were going to look for a '95 STS next? That should be a pretty common model to find, eh? Look forward to seeing your next "new" car! :)

When driving my 1993 Seville on a long road trip to FL, (about a 13 hr. drive), my car had been acting a little funny about half way through the trip. I ignored it, because there wasn't much I could do half way between nothing and nowhere, but when I finally did get about 10 minutes from my final destination in FL, a trans cooler line burst open and I lost the ability to move the car just after I pulled into a Walmart parking lot.

I replaced the oil and the line, and she's been a diamond every since, (that was probably over 10K miles ago).

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Archived