CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Conversion Advice Please

bniffin

The A/C on my '92 Seville has been OK at high speed but unable to keep up at idle. I discovered metal shavings on the orifice tube so will be replacing tube, accumulator, and compressor with a complete flush per the advice of this great group.

My questions have to do with conversion to R134a:

-- is an OEM/remanufactured Delco OK to use with 134 or is there a better unit you would recommend? I'd rather spend a few bucks more for the part you guys would put in your own vehicle.

-- some posts have hinted at a different orifice tube (Ford blue?) to 'fool' the inline sensors if converting from R12 to R134. Can anyone confirm? Is this strongly recommended or a requirement (stock orifice won't work & will throw errors)?

-- any concern with the mineral spirits damaging senors?

Thanks for any assistance/suggestions you might have...

I did the conversion on mine last year, I used the Ford blue, but not to fool the sensors, I was told that it was better. AC works fine now, the only thing I have to do is find a small leak where I put new o-rings in.

I went with a Delco Reman by Delco (sold by Delco, not 4 seizens or others).I flushed with brake-clean and compressed air. I used Nylog to lube the 134a approved NEW O-rings. I used a Variable type O-Tube. The Variable Tube seems to work as advertised: better cooling at idle, less drag at high RPM. Before the conversion I kept it on MAX to feel cool, now I have to turn it down, it really cools.GET the BRASS conversion fittings, the aluminum cheapies will leak (don't ask how I know this, LOL). BTW the conversion was done to my old Chevy but the principals are similiar. Make SURE everything is clean and don't overtighten the fittings.

rek

Mineral spirits won't damage the sensors. Use dry compressed air to blow out the redsidual mineral spirits prior to evacuating and charging.

The Nylog works great for o-ring lube - they won't leak.

I would use the stock orifice tube and use the same amount of R-134a as called for R-12 or the system will set a low refrigerant code. Many A/C shops insist on using 80% of the R-12 charge and that will result in a low refrigerant code being set.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived