CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Stutter

Regis

Ok I'm driving home from work and it's raining here like the Hoover Dam just let loose and as I start to make the turn into the parking lot, the steering just farts out. No power steering at all. I thought for a second that perhaps I stalled the car. Nope. So I grab the wheel again and give it a few hard wiggles right and left and viola! The power comes back to the wheel. As I'm making my way to park the car I swear I hear a momentary squeal sound.... then nothing. I try the wheel side to side and it's normal. I park the car and while in park I try the wheel again. Still fine. Now mind you it's raining real hard so I didn't venture under the car to take a looksy. Ok fellas let me hear your guess as to what caused this. I'm driving to Pennsylvania this weekend and would like to put this to bed.

Thanks in advance

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Hey Larry! Yeah I managed to temporarily empty a few small ponds on the way home but didn't hit any just before it locked up or lots power. You think possibly a delayed reaction?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I've had the same thing happen with our Deville, would drive through water and loose power steering, hear the squeal and the power comes back. Trying to turn the wheel when this happens is impossable.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Hey Larry! Yeah I managed to temporarily empty a few small ponds on the way home but didn't hit any just before it locked up or lots power. You think possibly a delayed reaction?

No. I was thinking the the belt got wet right then and slipped for a few seconds. Don't even know if that is feasable, just the only logical explanaition I could come up with.

hmmm, would like to know also, my 98 SLS w/ 66k has been having a similar problem. Maybe someone knows how to help...

Seldomly this started over the past 4 years with or without rain, but now more like once a month, usually at slight acceleration or lightly on the brake (notice this most when parking, either in reverse or D) my power steering goes out. I also notice recently that on sharp right turns I sometimes hear a "electronic" grinding noise.

Any ideas what this is?

Have you checked the oil level in the power steering yet?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Check the belt and the tensioner . If no help remove belt and spin all the pulleys checking for noise. There has been some recent threads on changing the power steering fluid that seem interesting. Next time your door bolts come loose reinstall new ones using lock tight. Mike

PS fluid is full and everything seems to be running fine today. My guess is that the lower part of the belt got wet and caused the belt to slip a little. When I looked at the lowest path the belt takes it seemed possible that it could have gotten wet by pure chance if the conditions were right. Note it happened while making a slow right sharp turn with water rushing at the front of the car. Who knows. I'll have to keep an eye on it and I may just replace the Serp belt for good measure. In the back of my mind I think that it might be just loose enough for something like this to happen. Thanks to all for the help and input.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

After further examination I think I know how the belt got wet. I'm missing the small rubber http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2747 section of rain/dust guard located under and behind the spoiler. The small section missing is right under the belt and pulleys. I'll have to see if i can find a replacement piece. That piece has been missing for some time now but never seemed to make a difference..... until now.

-kg

post-3-1090926583.gif

"Burns" rubber

Archived