CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HONDA (sorry!) question

adallak

Hi guys, sorry for "off topic'', but I am at a loss. Some 9 months ago I drained the ORIGINAL coolant from my GF's Honda Accord 97, flushed a few times with distilled water and refilled with geen Prestone 50/50 mix. Nobody seemed to touch the coolant for 4-7 years and it was full.

Recently she noticed the coolant in the plastic reservour was low. I added some coolant and she lost about 1 qtr in two weeks. No spills on the asfalt, looks like she loses it while driving. Yesterday I added some Bar's leaks gold.

QUESTION: did I do something wrong? The original HONDA coolant was dark green and transparent. Was it wrong to replace it with green Prestone? What could happen?

Any HONDA owners there? Please help. Thanks.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hey, I've got some Asian cars in my collection. One is an Acura, and that's in the Honda family. Nope, I sure don't think you made any mistakes there, including adding some Bars Gold. I've used that stuff in most all my cars, (especially the Aluminum based engines) with no ill effects. As long as you added that Prestone pre-mix (which is already 50/50) to an empty cooling system, it should be good to go. Loosing a little coolant without any obvious cause in not too unusual in the hot summer months. Just re-check all the cooling system connections to make sure they're tight, and keep your eye on it

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

It might be that you never got it full after the flush and refill. Sometimes you get some air pockets that will fill and then give you a low coolant tank. Watch it for a little longer and see. It's not getting hot is it? Just keep an eye on it.

Jeff

It might be worth putting on a new radiator cap. It may be lifting just enough while driving to loose some.

It is also possible that some material is stuck between the cap seal and the flange causing a poor sealing condition.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thank you Bob D, jgr7 and growe3!

There was a lot of confusing information in the internet relating silicate containing and not containing antifreezes. All possible views were expressed ragarding how these two types interact with Honda water pump, aluminum parts etc. Ouch....

I personally was sure Honda's recommendation to use only their antifreez was BS just like "use only Panasonic AAA batteries with Panasonic TV remote!" Hopefully I did not screw GF's car up <_>

HAVING owned several hondas and acuras, i can safely say THEY ARE the only cars with more head gasket problems than a northstar , is the honda and acura motors. They DO NOT pull the head bolts loose from the aluminum block but , they are bad about blowing a head gasket. Starts with collant disappearing , THIS IS ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE MADE SURE THE WATER PUMP HAS NOT STARTED SEAPING . Fpr some reason, after you change the coolant , they sometimes will start to drip at the water pump. Since it is hidden behind the timing cover , the fluid will drip down and run out the bottom while you are driving , if this is the problem it soon will start to drip where you will definately no it. IF it is the head gasket look for white smoke out tailpipe, and smell of antifreeze. PRessure test , if it gets to leaking to much it will hydrolock the engine in a heart beat. ASk your gf if the car has gotten really hot at one time lately , and she just forgot to tell you . If she says yes , it most likely is the head gasket. Changing the head gaskets are not that hard , just time consuming, GET SHOP MAN. FIRST

HAVING owned several hondas and acuras, i can safely say THEY ARE the only cars with more head gasket problems than a northstar , is the honda and acura motors. They DO NOT pull the head bolts loose from the aluminum block but , they are bad about blowing a head gasket. Starts with collant disappearing , THIS IS ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE MADE SURE THE WATER PUMP HAS NOT STARTED SEAPING . Fpr some reason, after you change the coolant , they sometimes will start to drip at the water pump. Since it is hidden behind the timing cover , the fluid will drip down and run out the bottom while you are driving , if this is the problem it soon will start to drip where you will definately no it. IF it is the head gasket look for white smoke out tailpipe, and smell of antifreeze. PRessure test , if it gets to leaking to much it will hydrolock the engine in a heart beat. ASk your gf if the car has gotten really hot at one time lately , and she just forgot to tell you . If she says yes , it most likely is the head gasket. Changing the head gaskets are not that hard , just time consuming, GET SHOP MAN. FIRST

franey, thanks for your insight

there was no smoke or coolant getting out of the tailpipe definetily. Do you think the reason is the Prestone antifreez I have put 9 months ago? Should I replace it with genuine Honda stuff ASAP to prevent further damage?

I NEVER used anything but prestone, I don't believe they ever used anything but the green. IF IT Is not smoking white , and the radiator cap is ok , take the plastic plate off the bottom plastic cover underneath , their should be a small plastic plate right below the radiator drain plug. The plugs which have a small o ring around them will sometimes leak after they have been disturbed. The drip dissapates onto the bottom plastic cover and drops off as the car is in motion. I am betting that it is the water pump seaping. IS it a v6 or 4 cylinder.

I NEVER used anything but prestone, I don't believe they ever used anything but the green. IF IT Is not smoking white , and the radiator cap is ok , take the plastic plate off the bottom plastic cover underneath , their should be a small plastic plate right below the radiator drain plug. The plugs which have a small o ring around them will sometimes leak after they have been disturbed. The drip dissapates onto the bottom plastic cover and drops off as the car is in motion. I am betting that it is the water pump seaping. IS it a v6 or 4 cylinder.

franey,

it is 4 cylinder 97 accord. I removed the plug to drain some 9 months ago. But we noticed disappearance of the coolant jus about a month ago and it seems to progress... My GF insist it happenned because I refilled with Prestone instead of Honda antifreez. It is kinda difficult to explain to her that keeping the coolant for 4-7 years much worse than replacing it with fresh one even Prestone. Whatever, I will keep an eye on water pump area. The good thing is that the headgasket seems to be ok so far. Thanks again for advise.

H ATE to tell you this but if it is the water pump , it is leaking onto the serpentine timing belt , which should have been changed at 60 ti 65k , if it hasn;t , the anti freeze just speeds up the deterioration, if the pump locks up , which they will do in a honda, it will strip the cogs right offf the timing belt or shred it where it will break into. WHEN this happens the pistons keep turning and some of the valves will be in the wide open position. THE pistons have a bad habit of bending them if their is not enough cleareance . Most honda motors do not have enough clearance, check with local honda service manager and he should be able to tell you on your girls friends car. TO keep her happy i would let her change it next time, since she is not pleased with what you did. GOTTA LOVE EM BECAUSE YOU SURE CAN NOT PLEASE EM.

Firends don't let friends drive Hodnas.......

Whew, it's a darn good thing this firend has an Acura and not a Hodna!

uh..........you never mentioned the AAcura when you were within earshot of me....LOL

Acura....Hodna....same difference.....

Didn't I? Hmmm...(I just didn't want to suffer the consequences..) LOL

Naw..that NSX is just a leeetle bit faster than any Hodna...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived