CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Idle problem

mike

Today when I turned on my STS, I got an EXTREMELY poor running vehicle. It stayed on no problem, however the steering wheel was shaking, and the general idle was very rough. Then while driving, a strange pop type of noise when you make a turn and accelerate.

Now, after driving for 10 minutes, this goes away completely, and hte car is back to normal. Only happens after the car has been sitting for a while ive found.

The only thing i did that I think could POSSIBLY cause this, was 2 days ago, I threw some water on the engine (Northstar badging area) to clean it up a little. Did I mess up my spark plug wires? Also I changed the oil that day, and 1/4 bottle of Lucas too. (However I highly doubt that has anytihng to do with it.

Any help is greatly appreaciated, thank you

Mike,

pull out possible codes (Warmer and off buttons depressed simultaneously for a few seconds until DIC starts showing codes). If no current code, your problem hopefully "history"

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You may have some water sitting somewhere that is causing a misfire. Did you drive it long enough to realy heat it up an evaporate any residual water?

No codes are present'

The problem goes away after about 5 minutes of driving the car.

It is only initally. Also the popping noise on turns sounds like a misfire, or soemthing along those lines.

Did I ruin my wires when I hosed down the block 2 days ago?

Did I ruin my wires when I hosed down the block 2 days ago?

No, I do it all the time. If there is residual water somewhere causing this just heat it up good to evaporate it all.

I always start and run the engine long enough to evaporate any water sitting around after I clean it. Just take a pressure washer and blast the engine (cover up a few things with plastic like the coils and the alternator if you can but it's not really necessary as long as you run the engine for a while afterwords.. if you go through big puddles everything in the engine compartment can get wet anyway.. even when it rains all that stuff gets wet if you are going down the highway.

Archived