CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PS pressure line

JimD

Has anyone changed out the PS pressure plumbing with the car on ramps / jack stands? Is it doable?

I do not have a lift (yet) so there is no way I can walk around under the car.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

no I haven't.. but i see no reason why you couldn't do it on jackstands. i've been under my 99 plenty of times with it on jackstands. pisses me off that my lines are rusting.. are yours? I wonder if anyone makes a stainless steel line set for ps and brakes and fuel for this car... all 3 are rusting on mine.. nothing major but it will turn into something down the road in a year or so

no I haven't.. but i see no reason why you couldn't do it on jackstands. i've been under my 99 plenty of times with it on jackstands. pisses me off that my lines are rusting.. are yours? I wonder if anyone makes a stainless steel line set for ps and brakes and fuel for this car... all 3 are rusting on mine.. nothing major but it will turn into something down the road in a year or so

Fuel lines rusting on a '99??? Where do you have steel fuel lines? They're polyethelyle on my cars.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ya they are.. it's rusted around the fuel filter and a few spots in between but nothing major yet. It's the lines UNDER the car.. not the ones under the hood.

I am about to answer my own question. Ordered the line tonight and will dive into the R&R as soon as UPS delivers.

Looks like a squeeze for wrench maneuver space at the rack/pinion fittings. Need to locate a 18mm split box-end wrench, if there is such an animal.

The upside is-- the PS fluid now squirting out of the leak is fresh and clean.

Straight ahead driving only; no turns permitted.....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it is doable. Took longer than I expected but the next time will go much faster!!

Both front wheels on Rhino Ramps and then jack the left side as much as you can for clearance. Cold engine/exhaust is required. Pipe fittings are 18 MM at the rack end.

Undo both the pressure line and the return line at the rack for clearance to wiggle the pressure line out. Small arms will help because you have to reach in over the left drive axle. Pay attention to the routing of the pressure line; I left the old line hanging in there until I had the new line in more or less the same places. A helper hanging over the fender would be good.

Cap off the ends of the new line with (something) to keep it clean and the little O rings in place while you wiggle it into position.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived