CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Musky trunk smell 2001 STS

tjtjwdad

I to have an 01 STS, and I didn't realize my trunk was leaking until I had to change a flat tire. When i pulled my spare out there was water under the spare. I took it to a locate caddy dealer and they replaced my trunk seal. I have kept my eye on it since but haven't had any water in the trunk in over 6 months.

Had the same symptoms and found the carpet and pad at the left rear corner was damp. Also found condensation on the bare trunk floor under the spare. Was not able to find even a drop of water seeping past the trunk seal during a soak test.

Decided that opening the trunk lid from 15 feet away with the remote during even moderate rain was to be avoided. Put the groceries on the back seat!

Took three days inside the house to completely / totally dry the carpet and pad.

Good luck....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have a friend who has a 2002 STS and after I told him about the water in the trunk problem he checked his trunk and sure enough, he found about one inch of water where the spare is stored.

He was also having problems with his trunk opening by itself.

Took it to the dealer, left it there for about 3 days. The trunk is still dry but the lid opens up once in a great while. He's not happy, that's for sure. (he buys a new, fully loaded caddy every 2-3 years and pays cash for the car so he expects and should receive a trouble free car, or so he thinks) ;)

NOTE TO CADDY ENGINEERS: Not that it would solve the water in the trunk problem but it would help to reduce the musty, moldiness in the trunk if you could figure out a way to pump heat and AC into the trunk to help stabilize it's temperature better and make a less friendly environment for fungii.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH WATER IN SPARE TIRE WELL. REMOVED TRUNK WEATHERSTRIP, CLEANED AND APPLIED GENEROUS AMOUNT OF 3M WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE (BLACK) REPLACE WEATHERSTRIP, ALLOW TIME TO DRY-LEFT MINE OUT OF RAIN OVER WEEKEND. NO MORE WATER-WAS NOT NECESSARY TO GO TO DEALER AND SPEND BIG $.

NOTE TO CADDY ENGINEERS: Not that it would solve the water in the trunk problem but it would help to reduce the musty, moldiness in the trunk if you could figure out a way to pump heat and AC into the trunk to help stabilize it's temperature better and make a less friendly environment for fungii.

Flow-through ventilation was introduced over 30 years ago. Air from the passenger compartment (pressurized by the HVAC blower) makes its way into the trunk, after which it is exhausted through vents in the rearmost door jambs. Some 1971 models had louvres on the trunk lid.

Would it help with the ventilation circulation if the center section of the back seat that accesses the trunk were left open? Jim White

It would be difficult to say, as I'm sure the rear package shelf area was designed to meet the airflow requirements of the HVAC system, but it shouldn't hurt. To speed things up, I would set the Climate Control to the highest tolerable temperature, make sure it is set to Auto (so the compressor is enabled), highest fan speed, recirculate off, elevate the spare tire cover, and drive around trying not to breath heavily. :)

Lucky for me this car is still under warranty and t is heading for repairs on Tuesday. I'm not sure how the dealer will address the mold on the cloth lining of the spare tire well. But as a preventive measure in the future I can just open the rear seat opening up and leave it open. Heck, it's just me ridding around in it anyway.

Jim White

What I did after finding that my caddy had a built in swimming pool and fish pond in my trunk was replace the trunk lid gasket and reseal all the tail lights which was another area through which water was POURING into the trunk.

After drying everything out, I purchased three 1,500 gram bags of desiccant and threw them in the trunk. The air remains pretty much bone dry in there now which eliminates the ability of fungii to grow.

Link to where you can purchase 1,500 gram bags of desiccant:

http://www.desiccare.com/cgi-local/SoftCar...a552+1081987920

Or, the direct home page link at: http://www.desiccare.com

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

There are vent openings in the 2001 trunk. Behind the carpet in the area behind the rear wheels. there is one on each side. I had water in my tire well. I had a trail of sand and water marks from a seam in this area of the trunk. used a sealer and stoped it.

post-3-1076173441.jpg

The best method of finding the leaks is to: climb into the trunk with a flashlight, closing the lid and then having a friend "water" around the outside areas with a hose. You have to do this, there is no better or easier method to source the leaks.

You'll be amazed where water can enter...

In my case it was:

- the body seam where the rear glass corner meets the body (used black RTV

on the outside, there's a black plastic molding that will hide the repair)

- rear lamp housings (worn gaskets on the bolts that secure the housing to body)

- trunk lid weatherseal (remove and reseal with RTV, use a helper - messy job)

- and the power antenna water exit tube (very small leak)

gc_caddy Posted on Feb 7 2004, 10:18 AM

The best method of finding the leaks is to: climb into the trunk with a flashlight, closing the lid and then having a friend "water" around the outside areas with a hose. You have to do this, there is no better or easier method to source the leaks.

Another way that I have heard of but never tried is very similiar but instead if using water is to use talcum powder and spray from the trunk side with air.

None the less I will find the culprit and stop it up ... one way or the other!

Thanks!

Jim White

Well with all this talk on water in the trunk...I had to take a look. Not a lot of water but the liner was soaked and a bit of mold. I don't think my trunk is leaking but I beleive the water gets in when I open the trunk when it has rained or is raining. Or even after washing the car. When I open the trunk, water pours off the trunk lid right into the trunk from right around the tail lights on the trunk. Seeme like a design thing. I try to just refrain from opening when wet out.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived