CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2006 CTS RPM FLUCTUATES

Here is my issue. I just bought a 2006 CTS 2.8 6cyl. The car drives and handles great. The problem I have is when I am trying to drive

at a steady speed my rpm's jump between 200-300 steadily back and forth. It only happens when im trying to go at a steady speed or am in cruise.

It is very annoying. I called the dealer where I got it from, there tech told me it is normal and thats how it holds its speed in place. Is this true? I dont remember any other car ive had do this back and forth rpm fluctuation. Getting kinda sea sick when I drive.

THANKS FOR HELP,

STEVE

Does it feel like the engine is surging, or perhaps the transmission torque converter is engaging/disengaging improperly (at steady speed)?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Does it feel like the engine is surging, or perhaps the transmission torque converter is engaging/disengaging improperly (at steady speed)?

It does feel like a small surge. Its just a very constant surge than backs off and surges again. only a couple hundred rpms

• 1 year later...

Here is my issue. I just bought a 2006 CTS 2.8 6cyl. The car drives and handles great. The problem I have is when I am trying to drive

at a steady speed my rpm's jump between 200-300 steadily back and forth. It only happens when im trying to go at a steady speed or am in cruise.

It is very annoying. I called the dealer where I got it from, there tech told me it is normal and thats how it holds its speed in place. Is this true? I dont remember any other car ive had do this back and forth rpm fluctuation. Getting kinda sea sick when I drive.

THANKS FOR HELP,

STEVE

So glad to hear that I am not alone. My 2006 CTS 2.8litre has EXACTLY that same issue. When at a steady speed the engine seems to surge back and forth about 200-300 rpm. I've had itin the shop and they fixed a couple of codes that the transmission indicated was in error. But I've still got the problem. The dealership have said this is the way they normally feel. I've had a number of cars in my lifetime and this is the first time I've experienced something like this. It is subtle but it drives me crazy... for a Caddy I would expect a much smoother ride. THis car idles almost silently... it has only 28000 kms on it. If you find out what the cause of this is I would sure appreciate hearing about it ... love this car in every other way but must get to the bottom of this!

THANKS FOR HELP,

STEVE

terryg,

I would encourage you to contact GM of Canada Cadillac Customer Assistance at 1-888-446-2000. Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Please keep me updated regarding your vehicle.

Thank you,

Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

So glad to hear that I am not alone. My 2006 CTS 2.8litre has EXACTLY that same issue. When at a steady speed the engine seems to surge back and forth about 200-300 rpm. I've had itin the shop and they fixed a couple of codes that the transmission indicated was in error. But I've still got the problem. The dealership have said this is the way they normally feel. I've had a number of cars in my lifetime and this is the first time I've experienced something like this. It is subtle but it drives me crazy... for a Caddy I would expect a much smoother ride. THis car idles almost silently... it has only 28000 kms on it. If you find out what the cause of this is I would sure appreciate hearing about it ... love this car in every other way but must get to the bottom of this!

• 7 years later...

Archived