CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 seville dashboard spots

just recently purchased 95 seville & the dashboard has seversl spots or blotches from the sun i assume. Any suggestions on how to remove or cover or restore to original condition? Other than this & 1 power window not working I love the car. Also any maintenance tips or other things I should be looking for. any info appreciated.

just recently purchased 95 seville & the dashboard has seversl spots or blotches from the sun i assume. Any suggestions on how to remove or cover or restore to original condition? Other than this & 1 power window not working I love the car. Also any maintenance tips or other things I should be looking for. any info appreciated.

I've never had a dashboard to "spot" like that from the sun. Usually, heat/UV damage is evident as a "wave" or undulation in the surface of the dashboard. My Cadillac, which has a fairly light-colored dash (tan) and which always sees a sunshade, has a slight "wave" in the dash up near the defroster vent. Interestingly, my Nissan truck, which is 2 years older and has a very dark-colored dash (dark grey) and which has probably never seen a shade before I got it, is perfectly flat. Huh!

I think it would be hard to clean those blotches from the dashboard, no matter what their cause. You could try some leather/vinyl cleaner. I'd suggest some mild dishwashing soap, but I don't know if that would discolor the dashboard, so I'd defer to someone with first-hand experience on that.

As for maintenance, change the coolant as soon as you can, unless you know it was recently done. That car was factory-filled with the conventional green coolant, which has the possibility of allowing some corrosion in the cooling system if not changed regularly (2-3 years). It should be on its 3rd or 4th coolant change by now. If you don't know the history of the cooling system maintenance, go ahead and change that coolant as one of the first things you do. That's probably the most trouble-prone area on a pre-96 car. Other than that, you're good to go. Just make sure all the fluids are filled and it has good brakes, etc...just normal used car stuff.

Good luck with it!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm assuming you're referring to the vinyl part of the dash. Sometimes, using lemon oil on the vinyl will remove the stains. Test it on an area that won't be too noticable first before you proceed. Use a very soft cloth when you do this so as to not remove any color from the vinyl. Sometimes, dashboards get painted over with a special paint that has flex agents in it and over time, they fade. If it can't be removed, it can be repainted.

As for body maintenance, WAX, WAX and more WAX. You can never wash and wax the car enough. You should wash no less than every two weeks and wax once a month at the very minimum. Use only quality products such as Zymol http://www.zymol.com Your car will love you for it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Those blotches appeared on the INSIDE of the radio glass(plastic) and the right side of the instrument panel on our 96 STS. Just showed up one day. Looked like something exploded inside the dash and splattered from the inside. We tried to polish off but shining up the outside doesn't help. If I ever take the car in to the dealer, I'll ask them about it but won't pay $75 to get told they don't know either! If you get it figured out, let us know.

Good luck

Those blotches appeared on the INSIDE of the radio glass(plastic) and the right side of the instrument panel on our 96 STS. Just showed up one day. Looked like something exploded inside the dash and splattered from the inside. We tried to polish off but shining up the outside doesn't help. If I ever take the car in to the dealer, I'll ask them about it but won't pay $75 to get told they don't know either! If you get it figured out, let us know.

Good luck

I believe the rings you refer to that are "growing" inside the bezel for the dashboard is probably mold. The bezel can be carefully removed and cleaned. Expect it to come back unless you find the source of dampness that encourages it to grow in the first place. How's your trunk? Look under the trap door for the tire well and see if there's any water in there. check the rest of the passenger compartment for leaks and check for leaks around the windshield and back window.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived