CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New 96 Fleetwood, noticeable problems

1010099.jpg

Just got a 96 fleetwood a few weeks ago. Has 115k on it, black on black towing package. I love the ride, rides nicer than my 2000 dts as far as squishyness but not performance wise.

Anyway heres somethings ive noticed are bad and see if I can find some help.

Passenger heated seat doesnt work or light up.

I ran codes on the climate control, there were none from the 00 through the 04's

Sounds like maybe a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side engine? I think Ive read something about this being common and hard to fix?

Passenger air shock in the rear is leaking oil. Its oily and leaking oil. Is it bad? Should it have oil in it? Why does it have oil in it? Looks like dirty oil. It does seam to air up quite a bit. More than my 2000 does, maybe its leaking air too?

Driver window is a little slow going down in a spot, ive read about the slider thingys you can replace so thats probably the problem there.

My drivers side mirror was cracked so i bought a replacement glass. I tore out the old glass and found a grid that was plugged in behind it. Is this just heating or dimming? I couldnt save it so whatever it is if I want it again Ill have to find a new grid.

Ive also read about a secondary air pump delete you can do. Is this necessary? I havent noticed sluggish take offs. It might have been done by the dealer awhile back, this car was used as a transport car till 2003.

Any particular maintenance I should do to it with that many miles? I have the carfax and much was done at dealerships through its life I can see. Any easy maintenance?

The intake system seems a bit bulky. Is there a cold air or other type of filter kit that works really well with these cars to pick up a lil hp and better gas mileage?

Otherwise no problems. Nice car!

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Congrats on the new Cadillac.

Search on Impala SS from 96; with some exceptions many of the mods for that car work on the Fleetwood. Home plate delete related to removing the center engine cover.

Be careful NOT to get the optispark wet; the ignition is the Achilles heal on the LT1.

For the passenger seat I recommend you look for frayed wires or wrapping beneath the seat. You may need to take the seat out of the car to see everything. I would not expect the seat to set a DTC; the car provides power to the seat and the seat handles the rest I think. Possible that it is just unplugged.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Congrats on the new Cadillac.

Search on Impala SS from 96; with some exceptions many of the mods for that car work on the Fleetwood. Home plate delete related to removing the center engine cover.

Be careful NOT to get the optispark wet; the ignition is the Achilles heal on the LT1.

For the passenger seat I recommend you look for frayed wires or wrapping beneath the seat. You may need to take the seat out of the car to see everything. I would not expect the seat to set a DTC; the car provides power to the seat and the seat handles the rest I think. Possible that it is just unplugged.

ive read alot about the water pump leaking and optispark as well. Sounds like around 100k it happens to them all. Only reason I asked for easy maintenance right now is its freezing cold out and Im not wanting to dig into the motor when its this cold out. But I was thinking sometime in the next year just replacing the water pump anyway so I wouldnt have to worry about it. Since it has the towing package it will be a little more difficult, it has a clutch fan and pulley on the front of the engine as apposed to the electric fans and clear shot to the water pump on most LT1s.

The towing package is great cause it has a more aggressive final drive ratio though right?

I think those cars are terrific, and they were made in Arlington, Texas before the fullsize cars got pushed aside to make more Trucks/SUVs.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The towing package is great cause it has a more aggressive final drive ratio though right?

I think those cars are terrific, and they were made in Arlington, Texas before the fullsize cars got pushed aside to make more Trucks/SUVs.

well it has 3.42 gears instead of 2.93 and its listed as 23mpg highway compared to the regular broughams at 25mpg. So probably not final ratio, but gets off the line nicely

Archived