CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Smoke, getting sick of it :)

bigfoo

I still have smoke (white/blueish) every time I start the car and rev it a little. Mostly when it's cold, I can start it and every time I rev it tons of smoke plumes out. Even after it's warn I can rev it but the smoke is darker then. Plus, of course, i have that notorious ticking sound when i first start (not too loud but I can hear it easily). Only has 79k miles, shouldn't be smoking .. maybe one of the o2 sensors is going bad? Any ideas?

On a 'normal' enging i'd think valve seal or rings or something letting oil in.. I don't think the northstar is as bulletproof as everyone thinks :>

:( Do you think it is possible to have a blown or leaking head gasket? Smoke that color could be from coolant. Does it have an odor (gas, oil, something else)?

I am not a mechanic or real knowledgeable about the NorthStar engine. Just my 2 cents worth. I will be watching to see what the experts on this tread say about it.

Does your coolant level stay steady? What about your oil level? I'd say it could be stuck rings. I've never ever ever heard of a valve seal problem on a Northstar engine.

Unless you purcahsed the car new, it's hard to bring such a quick conclusion against the engine itself, unless you know in detail the previous maintenance that occurred before you owned it. Obviously, this is an isolated incident, as smoking like that isn't normal.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Coolant is always fine. even months later it doesn't need to be filled up. IT does burn about a quart of oil every 1000 miles though, and it's not leaking any oil, not even a drop under it. It smells nasty, like old oil mixed with gas. I know it will smoke a little more since I have a high-flow cat but still.. II've tried putting stuff in the oil (sea foam) and doing top engine cleaners.. very well could be a stuck ring but I can't get to it. I even took all the spark plugs out and looked at them and they are fine (no oil, no fouling, etc). Possibly it's one of the o2 sensors giving a bad reading and making the engine push richer to satisfy the emmissions crap.

You don't mention anything about codes being set. Are there any codes being set?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived